Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Fredrik Rinnestam

Default Need help building CRUX 2.7.1 on a Dell R410 with a PERC H200 RAID controller

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:58:35PM -0400, Ori Johnson wrote:
> So, I'm working on building a CRUX 2.7.1 distribution on Dell r410
> system that has a PERC H200 RAID controller built into it.
>
> The system is located in a remote datacenter, so all my work is done
> through the Dell DRAC interface, including remotely mounting the
> Crux 2.7.1 media.
>
> When I go to build the system, the hard drives are registering as
> /dev/sdb (partitioned to /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2). Apparently
> /dev/sda is being used by some other device, but I'm not sure which.
>
> I can build the Crux 2.7.1 distribution on the system fine, and can
> complete the kernel build OK.
>
> However, when I reboot the system and the kernel finishes loading
> up, I keep getting a "VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block"
> error (see attacehed image).
>
> /etc/lilo.conf is set to use /dev/sdb as the boot device and
> /dev/sdb1 as the root partition. /etc/fstab is set to mount
> /dev/sdb1 as / and /dev/sdb2 as swap.
>
> Any assistance at this point would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

First of all: Since CRUX doesn't use a initrd, you need to build your
scsi controller, scsi-disk and filesystem *into the kernel* (not as
modules).

But getting back to your problem.. I would suspect that perhaps the crux
image gets assigned to sda when you boot the cd. This would shuffle
around when you boot your installed system without the cd. fstab, root=
kernel parameter would then be off (lilo.conf). An easy way to see if
this is the case is to make sure you install lilo with support for a
prompt (see man lilo.conf) and boot manually with something like this
"lilo: CRUX root=/dev/sda1". I'm a bit rusty with the lilo parameters,
but a websearch should confirm what you need to do. Good luck!

--

Fredrik Rinnestam

Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Ori Johnson

Thanks Fredrick,

The required models are compiled in, and we tried what you suggested.
Unfortunately, no dice

Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Fredrik Rinnestam

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 05:06:12PM -0400, Ori Johnson wrote:
> Thanks Fredrick,
>
> The required models are compiled in, and we tried what you
> suggested. Unfortunately, no dice

Can you post the kernel .config somewhere so we can look it over?
Also, you probably should figure out exactly what resides on /dev/sda. a
simple "dmesg" should tell you.