Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Markus Heinz

Default Automatic postgesql start fails

Hello,

since yesterday a new problem on my Crux Linux machine has occured: The
automatic start of postgresql during boot fails. The following line can
be found in the log:

Feb 19 11:50:17 Darksun postgresql: su: Cannot drop the controlling
terminal

When I start posgresql manually after boot it works fine.

All ports are up to date. Has anyone an idea of how to fix this?

Regards

Markus

Old 02-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Juergen Daubert

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:05:31PM +0100, Markus Heinz wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Markus,

> since yesterday a new problem on my Crux Linux machine has occured: The
> automatic start of postgresql during boot fails. The following line can
> be found in the log:
>
> Feb 19 11:50:17 Darksun postgresql: su: Cannot drop the controlling
> terminal
>
> When I start posgresql manually after boot it works fine.
>
> All ports are up to date. Has anyone an idea of how to fix this?

thanks for your report, it's a regression in "su" introduced by shadow
4.1.5. I saw the same issue with the start-script of opt/php-fcgi.

Sorry, no fix for it right now, but I've reported the bug upstream.
For now I'd suggest to use su from coreutils, which is build but not
installed with core/coreutils.
You can get the binary after a 'pkgmk -f -kw' of coreutils in your
$PKGMK_WORK_DIR.

HTH and best regards
Juergen

Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Markus Heinz

Hello,

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:02:16 +0100
Juergen Daubert <jue@jue.li> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:05:31PM +0100, Markus Heinz wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hello Markus,
>
> > since yesterday a new problem on my Crux Linux machine has occured:
> > The automatic start of postgresql during boot fails. The following
> > line can be found in the log:
> >
> > Feb 19 11:50:17 Darksun postgresql: su: Cannot drop the controlling
> > terminal
> >
> > When I start posgresql manually after boot it works fine.
> >
> > All ports are up to date. Has anyone an idea of how to fix this?
>
> thanks for your report, it's a regression in "su" introduced by
> shadow 4.1.5. I saw the same issue with the start-script of
> opt/php-fcgi.
>
> Sorry, no fix for it right now, but I've reported the bug upstream.
> For now I'd suggest to use su from coreutils, which is build but not
> installed with core/coreutils.
> You can get the binary after a 'pkgmk -f -kw' of coreutils in your
> $PKGMK_WORK_DIR.

The described workaround works for me. Thanks a lot.

> HTH and best regards
> Juergen

Best regards

Markus