-   -   Yelp 2.22.0 (http://www.linux-archive.org/crux/62053-yelp-2-22-0-a.html)

Brian Madonna 03-31-2008 01:37 AM

Yelp 2.22.0

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade to Gnome 2.22 it was recently put on the Gnome
repo the past few days. I struggled with lots of packages failing and
have fixed most of my issues however When I try to update Yelp it
complains with the following error message.

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkembedmoz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [yelp] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/gnome/yelp/work/src/yelp-2.22.0/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/gnome/yelp/work/src/yelp-2.22.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/gnome/yelp/work/src/yelp-2.22.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
=======> ERROR: Building
'/usr/ports/gnome/yelp/yelp#2.22.0-1.pkg.tar.gz' failed.

-- Packages where update failed/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkembedmoz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [yelp] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/gnome/yelp/work/src/yelp-2.22.0/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/gnome/yelp/work/src/yelp-2.22.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/gnome/yelp/work/src/yelp-2.22.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
=======> ERROR: Buildinglgtkembedmoz
'/usr/ports/gnome/yelp/yelp#2.22.0-1.pkg.tar.gz' faillgtkembedmozed.

-- Packages where update failed
yelp

yelp

I'm pretty sure lgtkembedmoz is part of mozilla-runtime but there isn't
any mozilla-dev or mozilla packages on any of the repos I have and I
already have firefox. I've also tried compiling xulrunner with no
suscess compiling xulrunner. Any assistance with finding a fix for this
would be greatly helpful.

Thanks,

Brian Madonna

Predrag Ivanovic 03-31-2008 02:10 PM

Yelp 2.22.0

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:02:43 -0400
Brian Madonna wrote:

<libgtkembedmoz.so missing>

> I'm pretty sure lgtkembedmoz is part of mozilla-runtime but there isn't
> any mozilla-dev or mozilla packages on any of the repos I have and I
> already have firefox. I've also tried compiling xulrunner with no
> suscess compiling xulrunner. Any assistance with finding a fix for this
> would be greatly helpful.

Brett made several improvements to how Firefox is build, starting with this version.
Quote from that mail (http://lists.crux.nu/pipermail/crux/2008-March/008153.html):
"It links all of Firefox's internal libraries and extensions statically, into the main binary. This reduces
disk space consumption, improves start-time performance and doesn't
break any applications that build against Firefox. Mozilla's own binary
builds are built this way, in fact."

As you can here in a git tree for opt (http://tinyurl.com/2md7or), libgtkembedmoz.so was part of the FF build, if I'm reading that diff corectly.
Since xulrunner also provides libgtkembedmoz.so, you could use that.It builds just fine here, and I used Mike's port (http://crux.nu/portdb/?q=xul&a=search).

HTH

Pedja
--
'Vegetarian' -- it's an old Indian word meaning 'lousy hunter'.
- Red Green

Mikhail Kolesnik 04-01-2008 07:19 AM

Yelp 2.22.0

Hello, Predrag.

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:10:28 +0200
Predrag Ivanovic <predivan@nadlanu.com> wrote:

> [...]
> As you can here in a git tree for opt (http://tinyurl.com/2md7or), libgtkembedmoz.so was part of the FF build, if I'm reading that diff corectly.
> Since xulrunner also provides libgtkembedmoz.so, you could use that.It builds just fine here, and I used Mike's port (http://crux.nu/portdb/?q=xul&a=search).
Be aware that my port provides a binary version of xulrunner. I was not
able to build it (or to find recent sources) at that time. I am using it
just to make beta version of rssowl-2.0 happy.

--
Mikhail Kolesnik
ICQ: 260259143

Predrag Ivanovic 04-01-2008 10:49 AM

Yelp 2.22.0

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:19:44 +0300
Mikhail Kolesnik wrote:

> Hello, Predrag.
Hi, Mikhail.

> > [...]
> > As you can here in a git tree for opt (http://tinyurl.com/2md7or),
> > libgtkembedmoz.so was part of the FF build, if I'm reading that diff
> > corectly. Since xulrunner also provides libgtkembedmoz.so, you could use
> > that.It builds just fine here, and I used Mike's port
> > (http://crux.nu/portdb/?q=xul&a=search).
> Be aware that my port provides a binary version of xulrunner. I was not
> able to build it (or to find recent sources) at that time.
I forgot to mention that it's binary version, sorry.AFAICT, Gentoo has both xulrunner and
xulrunner-bin in Portage or whatever that thing they use is called.If you look at dependencies
for building it, it's easy to understand why...

> I am using it
> just to make beta version of rssowl-2.0 happy.
That's was my idea, maybe he can use your port of xulrunner-bin to satisfy
yelp's dependency on firefox.Or he can dig up port for previous version of FF,
update the version, and build it like it was built before.It would be bloated, granted, but at least
Yelp would build.

Pedja
--
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather,
because it is far more easier to harass old ladies in fur,than

Predrag Ivanovic 04-01-2008 11:16 AM

Yelp 2.22.0

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:49:18 +0200
Predrag Ivanovic wrote:

>[...].Or he can dig up port for previous version of
> FF, update the version, and build it like it was built before.It would be
> bloated, granted, but at least Yelp would build.

This is a snapshot of Firefox port from opt just before update to 2.0.0.13:
http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=ports/opt.git;a=snapshot;h=f02496a0ddf3a029e8322e7e89303 731c2a24f06

Pedja
--
The Roman Rule:
The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is

Brett Goulder 04-01-2008 11:42 AM

Yelp 2.22.0

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:16:53 +0200
Predrag Ivanovic wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:49:18 +0200
> Predrag Ivanovic wrote:
>
> >[...].Or he can dig up port for previous version of
> > FF, update the version, and build it like it was built before.It
> > would be bloated, granted, but at least Yelp would build.
> >
> This is a snapshot of Firefox port from opt just before update to
> 2.0.0.13:
> http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=ports/opt.git;a=snapshot;h=f02496a0ddf3a029e8322e7e89303 731c2a24f06
>
> Pedja

I'm going to discuss potential solutions to this problem with Matt at
the next chance I get, which are producing a proper xulrunner 1.8 port
for either opt or the GNOME repo, reverting Firefox to building
dynamically instead of statically in opt or a dynamically-linked
version of Firefox for the GNOME repo.

When Firefox 3.0 is released, xulrunner will become the Firefox
backend, alleviating problems like this once and for all, as programs
will build against xulrunner, not Firefox.

--
~predatorfreak
GnuPG Public key: http://pred.dcaf-security.org/dcafsec-pub-gpgkey.asc

William Lewis 04-01-2008 12:17 PM

Yelp 2.22.0

> When Firefox 3.0 is released, xulrunner will become the Firefox
> backend, alleviating problems like this once and for all, as programs
> will build against xulrunner, not Firefox.

One of us is looking at outdated information.* According to Ben Smedberg, the XULRunner maintainer, Firefox will not ship with a system-wide XULRunner.* http://benjamin.smedbergs.us/blog/2007-05-15/xulrunner-what-we-are-doing/* I'm actually not convinced we save much by disabling shared libraries.* (Although I certainly appreciate the effort.* I've done several by-hand builds of the Mozilla codebase, and it's not a simple thing by any means.)

Will

Brett Goulder 04-01-2008 03:17 PM

Yelp 2.22.0

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 07:17:35 -0500
William Lewis wrote:

> > When Firefox 3.0 is released, xulrunner will become the Firefox
> > backend, alleviating problems like this once and for all, as
> > programs will build against xulrunner, not Firefox.
> >

> One of us is looking at outdated information. According to Ben
> Smedberg, the XULRunner maintainer, Firefox will not ship with a
> system-wide XULRunner.
> http://benjamin.smedbergs.us/blog/2007-05-15/xulrunner-what-we-are-doing/
> I'm actually not convinced we save much by disabling shared
> libraries. (Although I certainly appreciate the effort. I've done
> several by-hand builds of the Mozilla codebase, and it's not a simple
> thing by any means.)

We're both right. Their official builds will stay much the same, all
the underlying groundwork for xulrunner is already present in Firefox
3.0 beta* and will be present in the official release.

The CRUX packages will work with xulrunner as the backend, unlike
upstream Mozilla. This is how my current firefox 3 repo works and how I
intend to push it to opt when Firefox 3.0 is finalised.

William Lewis 04-01-2008 04:26 PM

Yelp 2.22.0

> We're both right. Their official builds will stay much the same, all
> the underlying groundwork for xulrunner is already present in Firefox
> 3.0 beta* and will be present in the official release.
>
> The CRUX packages will work with xulrunner as the backend, unlike
> upstream Mozilla. This is how my current firefox 3 repo works and how I
> intend to push it to opt when Firefox 3.0 is finalised.

If I understand it correctly, in the 2.0.0.x branches of both Firefox and Thunderbird, each package compiles and installs its own copies of all the Mozilla-specific stuff, e.g. NSPR, XPCOM, libxul, etc.* So the benefit of the new system is to minimize compile time and compile frequency for updates to the engine.* In other words, if there's a security bug in Mozilla's _javascript_ handling, then one update (to XULRunner) is all that is needed.* That way, both Firefox and Thunderbird (and whatever else, e.g. Songbird) reap the benefits.* We also go from multiple copies of the installed libraries to a single copy.* Is all this correct?

Also, earlier on the list, you described the build as disabling the dynamic libraries, IIRC.* So what am I missing?* Doesn't XULRunner need to be compiled with dynamic libs to be leveraged by Firefox and Thunderbird?

Thanks in advance,
Will