Old 04-02-2008, 01:28 AM
Brett Goulder

Default Yelp 2.22.0

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:26:38 -0500
William Lewis wrote:

> > We're both right. Their official builds will stay much the same, all
> > the underlying groundwork for xulrunner is already present in
> > Firefox 3.0 beta* and will be present in the official release.
> >
> > The CRUX packages will work with xulrunner as the backend, unlike
> > upstream Mozilla. This is how my current firefox 3 repo works and
> > how I intend to push it to opt when Firefox 3.0 is finalised.
>
> If I understand it correctly, in the 2.0.0.x branches of both Firefox
> and Thunderbird, each package compiles and installs its own copies of
> all the Mozilla-specific stuff, e.g. NSPR, XPCOM, libxul, etc. So
> the benefit of the new system is to minimize compile time and compile
> frequency for updates to the engine. In other words, if there's a
> security bug in Mozilla's JavaScript handling, then one update (to
> XULRunner) is all that is needed. That way, both Firefox and
> Thunderbird (and whatever else, e.g. Songbird) reap the benefits. We
> also go from multiple copies of the installed libraries to a single
> copy. Is all this correct?
>
> Also, earlier on the list, you described the build as disabling the
> dynamic libraries, IIRC. So what am I missing? Doesn't XULRunner
> need to be compiled with dynamic libs to be leveraged by Firefox and
> Thunderbird?

Yes, that's correct, although the Firefox 2.0.0.X in opt now builds
against system nss/nspr, to minimise wasted space.

I disabled the dynamic libraries (excluding what Firefox forces
dynamic) for Firefox only, xulrunner, being an actual generic platform
for other applications, should be built dynamic and is.

--
~predatorfreak
GnuPG Public key: http://pred.dcaf-security.org/dcafsec-pub-gpgkey.asc