Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 AM
samwyse

Default ISO image device driver gripes

This past week, I've installed Crux on my laptop about two dozen
times. Well, not really my laptop, it's a virtual machine running on
my laptop. And it's not because anything's wrong, but because I'm
trying to create a minimal installation. *(Read about it at
http://crux.nu/Wiki/VMwarePlayer) *Along the way, I've had to deal
with a few nagging issues. *Not really problems, I'm sure everything
is working as designed, I'm just not particularly happy with a few
details. *I've listed those grips on the wiki, but I'll repeat them
here to save you time.

The first one is a small matter. *The Crux installation image doesn't
contain a floppy driver. I'm a lazy programmer. If I have to do
something more than once, I try to automate with a script. Since I've
redone my installation so many times, I've written some scripts to
automate the process, which I'm keeping on a USB thumb drive.
However, it's a bit inconvenient. VMware allows you to use a floppy
image as a virtual floppy disk, just like you'd use an ISO file as a
CD-ROM, except you can write to it. The good thing about this is that
I can keep the floppy image in the same directory as the rest of my
VM. That means that if I revisit my project in a year or so, I don't
have to worry about which thumb drive I was using way back when.

The second gripe is a bit larger. There are no network drivers loaded
on the installation image. This means that I can't install contributed
ports without a reboot of my VM off the virtual disk. To that end,
I've added a*runonce*process to /etc/rc.local. It scans an
/etc/runonce.d*directory for executable files, runs them (duh!), and
moves them into a*success*or failure*subdirectory. But it would be
nice (and faster) if could do everything while I was running from the
ISO.

Thanks.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Fredrik Rinnestam

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 07:06:23PM -0600, samwyse wrote:
> This past week, I've installed Crux on my laptop about two dozen
> times. Well, not really my laptop, it's a virtual machine running on
> my laptop. And it's not because anything's wrong, but because I'm
> trying to create a minimal installation. *(Read about it at
> http://crux.nu/Wiki/VMwarePlayer) *Along the way, I've had to deal
> with a few nagging issues. *Not really problems, I'm sure everything
> is working as designed, I'm just not particularly happy with a few
> details. *I've listed those grips on the wiki, but I'll repeat them
> here to save you time.
>
> The first one is a small matter. *The Crux installation image doesn't
> contain a floppy driver. I'm a lazy programmer. If I have to do
> something more than once, I try to automate with a script. Since I've
> redone my installation so many times, I've written some scripts to
> automate the process, which I'm keeping on a USB thumb drive.
> However, it's a bit inconvenient. VMware allows you to use a floppy
> image as a virtual floppy disk, just like you'd use an ISO file as a
> CD-ROM, except you can write to it. The good thing about this is that
> I can keep the floppy image in the same directory as the rest of my
> VM. That means that if I revisit my project in a year or so, I don't
> have to worry about which thumb drive I was using way back when.
>
> The second gripe is a bit larger. There are no network drivers loaded
> on the installation image. This means that I can't install contributed
> ports without a reboot of my VM off the virtual disk. To that end,
> I've added a*runonce*process to /etc/rc.local. It scans an
> /etc/runonce.d*directory for executable files, runs them (duh!), and
> moves them into a*success*or failure*subdirectory. But it would be
> nice (and faster) if could do everything while I was running from the
> ISO.

modprobe <net-driver>

--

Fredrik Rinnestam