FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CRUX > CRUX

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 AM
"Gellért Balázs"
 
Default kernel panic - unable to mount root fs

Hi All,

I am a Newbe. I tried to install CRUX 2.4 on my laptop. During
installing and configuration, everything seemed to good. I was able to
install the core system to my SATA harddisk, furthermore my other
partitions were available as well.

Though when I completed install procedure, I tried to boot CRUX from
the harddisk, the boot process stopped with following messages:

"VFS: Cannot open root device "sda6" or unknown block (0,0)"
"Please append a correct "root=" boot option, here is the available
partitioins: 1600 4194302 hdc driver: ide cdrom"
"Kernel panic - not syncing: UFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
block (0,0)"

I am sure my fstab and boot loader config file is correct. Could it be
the problem that I did not use own lilo for CRUX in order to boot? I
edited an existed grub menu.lst of another linux distro that runs on
my laptop.

Any help is appreciated,

gellba
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Richard Pöttler
 
Default kernel panic - unable to mount root fs

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:10:41AM +0100, Gellért Balázs wrote:
> I am a Newbe. I tried to install CRUX 2.4 on my laptop. During
> installing and configuration, everything seemed to good. I was able to
> install the core system to my SATA harddisk, furthermore my other
> partitions were available as well.
>
> Though when I completed install procedure, I tried to boot CRUX from
> the harddisk, the boot process stopped with following messages:
>
> "VFS: Cannot open root device "sda6" or unknown block (0,0)"
> "Please append a correct "root=" boot option, here is the available
> partitioins: 1600 4194302 hdc driver: ide cdrom"
> "Kernel panic - not syncing: UFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
> block (0,0)"
>
> I am sure my fstab and boot loader config file is correct. Could it be
> the problem that I did not use own lilo for CRUX in order to boot? I
> edited an existed grub menu.lst of another linux distro that runs on
> my laptop.

Hm, I don't know the error message, I think, you have installed grub into your
mbr (other wise this "root=..." stuff wouldn't appear), if not,

prt-get readme grub

will help you.

Afaik the grub shipped with the install iso will read it's configuration from
/boot/grub/grub.conf (but this will change, if you update grub, and reinstall it
in the mbr (see the previous grub email in this list)).

Hope this helps.

bye
richi
--
quoting guide: http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/quotingguide.html
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Joe Gilmour
 
Default kernel panic - unable to mount root fs

Also make sure the sata driver and file system type are compiled into
the kernel (not modules).

Joe
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 03-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Brett Goulder
 
Default kernel panic - unable to mount root fs

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:44:42 +1100
Joe Gilmour wrote:

> Also make sure the sata driver and file system type are compiled into
> the kernel (not modules).
>
> Joe
> _______________________________________________
> CRUX mailing list
> CRUX@lists.crux.nu
> http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux

Make sure SCSI target support, SCSI device support, SCSI disc support,
SCSI CD-Rom support and SCSI Generic support are built-in, as these are
required to create the device node and provide the SATA-SCSI interface.

--
~predatorfreak
GnuPG Public key: http://pred.dcaf-security.org/dcafsec-pub-gpgkey.asc
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 03-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Brett Goulder
 
Default kernel panic - unable to mount root fs

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:57:37 -0400
Brett Goulder wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:44:42 +1100
> Joe Gilmour wrote:
>
> > Also make sure the sata driver and file system type are compiled
> > into the kernel (not modules).
> >
> > Joe
> > _______________________________________________
> > CRUX mailing list
> > CRUX@lists.crux.nu
> > http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
>
> Make sure SCSI target support, SCSI device support, SCSI disc support,
> SCSI CD-Rom support and SCSI Generic support are built-in, as these
> are required to create the device node and provide the SATA-SCSI
> interface.
>

Since Jaeger gave me a talking to over the inaccuracy of the above
statement, I'll point out that SCSI CD-Rom support, SCSI target support
and SCSI Generic support are not "required" if all you want is the
hard-disc.

But SCSI CD-Rom support is required in order to utilise a CD-Rom drive,
SCSI generic support is useful for card-readers and screwy CD burners
and SCSI target support I forget at the moment.

--
~predatorfreak
GnuPG Public key: http://pred.dcaf-security.org/dcafsec-pub-gpgkey.asc
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
"Gellért Balázs"
 
Default kernel panic - unable to mount root fs

2008/3/26, Richard Pöttler <richard.poettler@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:09:18PM +0100, Gellért Balázs wrote:
> > > I think, you have installed grub into your mbr
> >
> > Yes, I have. But not during CRUX install. Much more earlier, when I
> > had installed another linux distro on the box.
>
> Then you should edit the original grub configuration file. Afaik grub will
> always use the configuration file you used while installing it into the mbr.

I edited the original grub file while installing crux, but after that
I was not able to boot crux for some reason. That's why I'll try some
other tricks like chainloading or re-write the mbr.


> > I checked that grub package is not available from the install iso,
> > because my experience is that the 'core' repo is only available from
> > the iso (neither 'opt' and or 'xorg'). While the 'core' repo only
> > includes lilo.
>
> There are some xorg and opt ports on the iso (firefox and all it's dependencies
> for sure), but not installed. The packages are there to be used with pkgadd. But
> i don't know, whether grub is among them.

OK, I'll try pkgadd.


> > I suppose I should try some chainloading from the existing grub
> > sitting in the mbr toward my CRUX lilo which I should install to the
> > root partition of my CRUX.
>
> Could be a solution, but it shouldn't be more difficult to alter your existing
> grub configuration to choose the right root and kernel image.

I've already altered grub config (see above).


Thanks

Balazs
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org