Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM
cory cardio

Default Persistent block device naming - boot, label, disk

Hello,

Goal: Boot crux OS from device by root=LABEL=ROOT

Info can be found:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot-rootfs/

and
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Persistent_block_device_naming

Problem: Even when following the steps above, and others, my system still fails to boot using LABEL.

General Question: Does anybody have any experience doing this or ideas/suggestions to help me do this?

Specific Question: I am wondering if the problem is this: I am using BT4 as my "rescue" OS, in other words I am booting off a USB to edit partitions/fstab/labels etc. In BT4 I can use commands such as

ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/

BUT, when in Crux, I cannot. There is no /dev/disk/by-* anything...

So I am wondering if that is why I am choking during boot. If somebody thinks this may be valid, please let me know, and further, if someone knows how to enable Crux to support this feature, please let me know.

THANK YOU in advance,
-clc

Old 11-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Emmanuel Benisty

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:28 PM, cory cardio <clcardio71@gmail.com> wrote:
> Goal: Boot crux OS from device by root=LABEL=ROOT
>
> General Question: Does anybody have any experience doing this or
> ideas/suggestions to help me do this?

I guess you'll need an initrd stuffed with udev, udev rules, blkid and
more to do that.

> BUT, when in Crux, I cannot. There is no /dev/disk/by-* anything...

worksforme. Does this exist on your machine:
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules ?

-- Emmanuel