FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CRUX > CRUX

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Markus Heinz
 
Default Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

Hello,

I cannot print from firefox to cups. I use cups 1.4.8-1 and firefox
5.0.1-1. The message in the cups error log is as follows:

Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Print-Job
(ipp://localhost:631/printers/dj5550) from localhost

I use the hpijs printer driver to print to a HP Deskjet 5550 printer.
Printing the test page from the cups web interface works flawlessly.

Printing from the chromium web browser does not work too. The error
message is the same. The only way to print a web page for me is to
print it from firefox to a PDF file and then print the PDF file from
epdfview. This works.

The problem existed before the latest cups update with cups version
1.4.6-1 too. I cannot exactly tell when it started. I only remember
that some month ago I could print from firefox without problems.

Has anyone an idea how to fix this?

Regards

Markus
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Juergen Daubert
 
Default Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 07:24:15PM +0200, Markus Heinz wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Markus,

thanks for the report, I see the same error here.

> I cannot print from firefox to cups. I use cups 1.4.8-1 and firefox
> 5.0.1-1. The message in the cups error log is as follows:
>
> Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Print-Job
> (ipp://localhost:631/printers/dj5550) from localhost

if you set LogLevel to debug in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf you'll see another
error message in /var/log/cups/error_log:

Print-Job client-error-document-format-not-supported: Unsupported format
'application/pdf'!

> I use the hpijs printer driver to print to a HP Deskjet 5550 printer.
> Printing the test page from the cups web interface works flawlessly.
>
> Printing from the chromium web browser does not work too. The error
> message is the same. The only way to print a web page for me is to
> print it from firefox to a PDF file and then print the PDF file from
> epdfview. This works.
>
> The problem existed before the latest cups update with cups version
> 1.4.6-1 too. I cannot exactly tell when it started. I only remember
> that some month ago I could print from firefox without problems.
>
> Has anyone an idea how to fix this?

The problem is that firefox, beginning with version 5, seems to use pdf
instead of ps for printing. With Firefox 4.x and 3.x we don't have the
issue.

The easiest fix is to modify cups' Pkgfile and change --with-pdftops=none
to --with-pdftops=gs and rebuild the cups package.
The drawback is that we introduce a circular dependency, because
ghostscript itself depends on cups.

The second possibility is to install either xpdf or poppler and use
--with-pdftops=pdftops with cups, which pulls in other dependencies.
Not very nice at all, but currently the only clean solution.

One idea might be to create a new port, maybe called pdf-utils, that
includes only the cli part of either poppler or xpdf.


HTH and best regards
Juergen

_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 07-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Hazel Russman
 
Default Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:24:15 +0200
> From: Markus Heinz <markus.heinz@uni-dortmund.de>
> Subject: Problem printing from Firefox to Cups
> To: crux@lists.crux.nu
> I cannot print from firefox to cups. I use cups 1.4.8-1 and firefox
> 5.0.1-1. The message in the cups error log is as follows:
>
> Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Print-Job
> (ipp://localhost:631/printers/dj5550) from localhost
>
This looks very much like the problem that I noticed in the Gimp some time ago. I have recently found it in LibreOffice too. The last time I tried to print something from LO, I had to export it to a pdf and then use xpdf.
--
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk>
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 07-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Markus Heinz
 
Default Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

Hello Juergen,

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:56:57 +0200
Juergen Daubert <jue@jue.li> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 07:24:15PM +0200, Markus Heinz wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hello Markus,
>
> thanks for the report, I see the same error here.
>
> > I cannot print from firefox to cups. I use cups 1.4.8-1 and firefox
> > 5.0.1-1. The message in the cups error log is as follows:
> >
> > Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for
> > Print-Job (ipp://localhost:631/printers/dj5550) from localhost
[...]
> > Has anyone an idea how to fix this?
>
> The problem is that firefox, beginning with version 5, seems to use
> pdf instead of ps for printing. With Firefox 4.x and 3.x we don't
> have the issue.
>
> The easiest fix is to modify cups' Pkgfile and change
> --with-pdftops=none to --with-pdftops=gs and rebuild the cups
> package. The drawback is that we introduce a circular dependency,
> because ghostscript itself depends on cups.
>
> The second possibility is to install either xpdf or poppler and use
> --with-pdftops=pdftops with cups, which pulls in other dependencies.
> Not very nice at all, but currently the only clean solution.

I have chosen the second option as I have installed poppler anyway and
now I can print from firefox again.

> One idea might be to create a new port, maybe called pdf-utils, that
> includes only the cli part of either poppler or xpdf.
>
>
> HTH and best regards
> Juergen

Thanks a lot and best regards

Markus

_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Hazel Russman
 
Default Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

The --with-pdftops=pdftops fix also works with LibreOffice and with the gimp. In other words, if you compile cups in this way, you don't need to build the gimp with gutenprint support; you can use direct printing once again.
--
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk>
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Juergen Daubert
 
Default Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 07:09:47PM +0100, Hazel Russman wrote:
> The --with-pdftops=pdftops fix also works with LibreOffice and with the gimp.
> In other words, if you compile cups in this way, you don't need to build the
> gimp with gutenprint support; you can use direct printing once again.

Thanks for the info. I've solved the issue and changed cups as discussed
by adding poppler to its dependency and setting --with-pdftops=pdftops [1].

I took the opportunity and adopted/updated the currently unmaintained poppler
ports, which are now poppler, poppler-data, poppler-glib and poppler-qt4.

Hope this works well and fits our needs. Please report any problems.


best regards
Juergen

[1] http://tinyurl.com/424tr9q

_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Hazel Russman
 
Default Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 09:02:37, Juergen Daubert wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I've solved the issue and changed cups as discussed
> by adding poppler to its dependency and setting --with-pdftops=pdftops [1].

If you do it that way, we shall all need to install poppler even if we have xpdf installed already (I am in this position!)

Gentoo handles this sort of thing by making the dependency refer to a "virtual" package, which can correspond in practice to any of several different real packages. Is there anything like that in Crux?
--
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk>
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Juergen Daubert
 
Default Problem printing from Firefox to Cups

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 07:24:54PM +0100, Hazel Russman wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 09:02:37, Juergen Daubert wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. I've solved the issue and changed cups as discussed
> > by adding poppler to its dependency and setting --with-pdftops=pdftops [1].
>
> If you do it that way, we shall all need to install poppler even if we
> have xpdf installed already (I am in this position!)

You don't have to, cups builds and works just fine with an installed
xpdf
I decided to use poppler instead of xpdf in the cups port, because it's
an actively maintained library and used by a couple of pdf-viewer like
raktpdf [1].

> Gentoo handles this sort of thing by making the dependency refer to a
> "virtual" package, which can correspond in practice to any of several
> different real packages. Is there anything like that in Crux?

Partly, prt-get has a undocumented feature called "aliases", see
/var/lib/pkg/prt-get.aliases. Adding 'xpdf: poppler' should work at
first sight, but it doesn't consider the dependencies of poppler,
they are still listed by prt-get.


Greetings
Juergen

[1] ftp://ftp.code-monkey.de/pub/raktpdf/

_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:41 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org