Old 02-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Danny Rawlins

Default pkgmk warn on new files, footprint.

Here is a patch up for review for pkgutils to warn on new files, but
still error on missing files.

Would anyone like to comment on this and should I turn it into a option
in pkgmk.conf as /
<http://crux.nu/bugs/index.php?do=user&area=users&id=33>/Mikhail
Kolesnik (mike_k) suggested?

I was more thinking of making this feature permanent as it would
drastically reduce the use of the 'ignore footprint' option while
maintaining some protection when there are missing files. This also
implies ports should be built with minimal dependences, only those that
are required to build, and maybe function basically? All additional
ports I suggest should be listed on a '# Optional: ' meta tag.

http://crux.nu/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=221

--
Danny Rawlins
<Romster>

Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Johannes Winkelmann

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 13:05:27 +1100, Danny Rawlins wrote:
> Here is a patch up for review for pkgutils to warn on new files, but
> still error on missing files.
>
> Would anyone like to comment on this and should I turn it into a option
> in pkgmk.conf as /
> <http://crux.nu/bugs/index.php?do=user&area=users&id=33>/Mikhail
> Kolesnik (mike_k) suggested?

The feature seems like a good idea, however I think pkgmk should somehow
signal this "warning" situation with its return value.
Otherwise it won't be possible for tools like prt-get to let a user know
about an ignore footprint.

It may not be interesting information for some users, however especially
maintainers might want to double check their ports if there was a
missmatch, even if it was just added files; after all, some missmatches
might need addressing, even if they only add new files (think:
documentation files generation if a particular tool is installed).

There's another case: prt-get's logging can optionally remove build logs
of those ports that build ok; chances are that if you use logging, and
experienced a footprint warning (or any other warning in pkgmk for that
matter), you still would want to see the log to actually check the
build output.

Regards, Johannes
--
Johannes Winkelmann mailto:jw@smts.ch
Zurich, Switzerland http://jw.smts.ch

Old 02-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Matthias-Christian Ott

Danny Rawlins <romster@shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:

> Here is a patch up for review for pkgutils to warn on new files, but
> still error on missing files.
>
> Would anyone like to comment on this and should I turn it into a option
> in pkgmk.conf as /
> <http://crux.nu/bugs/index.php?do=user&area=users&id=33>/Mikhail
> Kolesnik (mike_k) suggested?
>
> I was more thinking of making this feature permanent as it would
> drastically reduce the use of the 'ignore footprint' option while
> maintaining some protection when there are missing files. This also
> implies ports should be built with minimal dependences, only those that
> are required to build, and maybe function basically? All additional
> ports I suggest should be listed on a '# Optional: ' meta tag.
>
> http://crux.nu/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=221

Generally speaking I think it's a good idea (even if I'm in favour of
USE flags like system).

Regards
Matthias-Christian