Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Ramu Chakravadhanula

Default error! after booting

hi,

I tried to install CRUX in /dev/sda1 partition, i didnt define any swap space?

after installation, when i removed CD and booted from hard drive,

+ NO file system mounted on root, tried : ext3 vfat msdos iso9660

+ Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8-1)
+pid: 1, comm:swapper not tainted #2
[4.200951 ] call trace :

Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Ramu Chakravadhanula

hi,

I tried to install CRUX in /dev/sda1 partition, i didnt define any swap space?

after installation, when i removed CD and booted from hard drive,

+ NO file system mounted on root, tried : ext3 vfat msdos iso9660

+ Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8-1)
+pid: 1, comm:swapper not tainted #2
[4.200951 ] call trace :

thanking you,

Best regards,
ramu

Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Andrei Oprisan

You need*CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
in your .config file when compiling the kernel.

On Jun 9, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Ramu Chakravadhanula wrote:hi,

Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Thomas Penteker

* Ramu Chakravadhanula (boys21century@gmail.com) wrote:
> hi,
>

> + NO file system mounted on root, tried : ext3 vfat msdos iso9660

You should know which filesystem you put on /dev/sdaX and set it accordingly
in /etc/fstab.

> + Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(8-1)

This ususally is caused by

a) missing IDE driver (as already mentioned)
b) missing filesystem driver
c) wrong root=.. entry in your bootloader's config (unsure about this)

regards,

Thomas

--
endothermal recalibration