-   -   regarding dual boot with CRUX ! (http://www.linux-archive.org/crux/536547-regarding-dual-boot-crux.html)

Fredrik Rinnestam 06-07-2011 10:36 PM

regarding dual boot with CRUX !

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 10:12:02PM +0000, Ramu Chakravadhanula wrote:
> hej!

Hej på dej du!

> I am ramachandran doing masters in telecommunication systems at Blekinge
> tekniska hogskola. presently I am working for a master thesis on Quality of
> experience and trafic shaping. we have CRUX installed in our LAB! but now,
> due to our personal requirements, we need to make a dual operating system
> along with CRUX . The other operating system would be Free BSD 7.3. im not
> an expert in linux! :(

And im not an BSD expert so i cant say what the BSD bootloader is
capable of. But dualbooting GNU/Linux and BSD cant be that big of a
deal, GRUB should be able to handle it.

A quick google-search pointed me to this post (its a bit dated so it
uses grub1 but hey, so do we!):

> please help me,
>
> Thanking you,
>
> best regards,
> ramachandran.

Fredrik Rinnestam

Juergen Daubert 06-08-2011 11:57 AM

regarding dual boot with CRUX !

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 10:12:02PM +0000, Ramu Chakravadhanula wrote:
> hej!

Hello,

> I am ramachandran doing masters in telecommunication systems at Blekinge
> tekniska hogskola. presently I am working for a master thesis on Quality
> of experience and trafic shaping. we have CRUX installed in our LAB! but
> now, due to our personal requirements, we need to make a dual operating
> system along with CRUX . The other operating system would be Free BSD 7.3.
> im not an expert in linux! :(

should be fairly easy with lilo, [1] should help.

Greetings
Juergen

[1] http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=281

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li
Korb, Germany | http://jue.li/crux

Ramu Chakravadhanula 06-08-2011 05:04 PM

regarding dual boot with CRUX !

hi,

Thank you, what is the bootloader that CRUX uses? is it lilo/grub?

Thanking you,

br,
ramu

On 8 June 2011 11:57, Juergen Daubert <jue@jue.li> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 10:12:02PM +0000, Ramu Chakravadhanula wrote:

> * *hej!

Hello,

JJ Asghar 06-08-2011 05:37 PM

regarding dual boot with CRUX !

Thank you, what is the bootloader that CRUX uses? is it lilo/grub?

The beauty of crux is you can choose! :) i'm partial to lilo, but grub is a little more free form.

*

br,
ramu

Best Regards,
-JJ Asghar

James Mills 06-09-2011 12:16 AM

regarding dual boot with CRUX !

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:04 AM, Ramu Chakravadhanula
<boys21century@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you, what is the bootloader that CRUX uses? is it lilo/grub?

CRUX uses lilo by default but also has grub.

I use lilo myself on all my CRUXes

cheers
James

--
-- James Mills

Danny Rawlins 06-13-2011 09:42 AM

regarding dual boot with CRUX !

Ramu Chakravadhanula wrote:
> hej!
>
> I am ramachandran doing masters in telecommunication systems at
> Blekinge tekniska hogskola. presently I am working for a master thesis
> on Quality of experience and trafic shaping. we have CRUX installed in
> our LAB! but now, due to our personal requirements, we need to make a
> dual operating system along with CRUX . The other operating system
> would be Free BSD 7.3. im not an expert in linux! :(

I think you meant QoS Quality Of Service, I do use tc with HFSC
scheduler if you need any help with that, but I know nothing on BSD
can't help you there. (btw you can find me on freenode as Romster I'm
fairly busy so I may not reply for a long time if i'm afk or working or
something.)