-   -   Handbook: a question and a typo fix (http://www.linux-archive.org/crux/513690-handbook-question-typo-fix.html)

markus schnalke 04-13-2011 01:47 PM

Handbook: a question and a typo fix

Hoi community,

I'm new to crux but I'm already enjoying it. You surely will hear more
from me soon. :-)

While reading the handbook I came across those this:

3.2. Installing From CD-ROM:

> * Go to /usr/src/linux-2.6.35.x, configure and compile a new kernel.
>
> $ cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.35.x
> $ make menuconfig
> $ make all
> $ make modules_install
> $ cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz
> $ cp System.map /boot

What's the reason for not using `make install'?

5.2.5. Enabling the 'contrib' collection

> To let prt-get know that you want it to use the contrib tree to, edit

There is an `o' missing: ... contrib tree too, edit ...

meillo

Thomas Penteker 04-13-2011 05:32 PM

* markus schnalke (meillo@marmaro.de) wrote:
> Hoi community,
>
> I'm new to crux but I'm already enjoying it. You surely will hear more
> from me soon. :-)

Welcome!

> What's the reason for not using `make install'?

Because it's too general I'd say.

> There is an `o' missing: ... contrib tree too, edit ...

I fixed that, thanks.

Regards,

Thomas

--
..

James Mills 04-13-2011 11:18 PM

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Thomas Penteker <tek@serverop.de> wrote:
>> What's the reason for not using `make install'?
>
> Because it's too general I'd say.

FYI, I use "make install" myself and have done so for many years now
as I find it just takes an extra few steps away that I don't have to do.
(ie: manually copy, etc).

I don't think it really matter tbh.

cheers
James

--
-- James Mills

markus schnalke 04-14-2011 12:54 PM

Handbook: a question and a typo fix

[2011-04-14 09:18] James Mills <prologic@shortcircuit.net.au>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Thomas Penteker <tek@serverop.de> wrote:
> >> What's the reason for not using `make install'?
> >
> > Because it's too general I'd say.
>
> FYI, I use "make install" myself and have done so for many years now
> as I find it just takes an extra few steps away that I don't have to do.
> (ie: manually copy, etc).
>
> I don't think it really matter tbh.

Thanks for your explanations.

IMO `make install' is a convenient and well-known idiom, thus I
wondered why it wasn't used. But running the necessary commands
directly is fine too.

Maybe a comment on this in the handbook would be nice.

meillo

Juergen Daubert 04-14-2011 01:27 PM

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 03:47:09PM +0200, markus schnalke wrote:
> Hoi community,

Hello Markus,

> I'm new to crux but I'm already enjoying it. You surely will hear more
> from me soon. :-)

welcome :-)

> While reading the handbook I came across those this:
>

> 3.2. Installing From CD-ROM:
>
> > * Go to /usr/src/linux-2.6.35.x, configure and compile a new kernel.
> >
> > $ cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.35.x
> > $ make menuconfig
> > $ make all
> > $ make modules_install
> > $ cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz
> > $ cp System.map /boot
>
> What's the reason for not using `make install'?

because it runs lilo after installing the kernel and System.map, which
is something not everybody wants.

Excerpt from 'make help':

install - Install kernel using
(your) ~/bin/installkernel or