Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Michal Soltys

Default vim's Pkgfile

This patch introduces small change that should make vim updates a bit
less irritating - currently Pkgfile depends on manually prepared batches
of official patches. With a bit of shell/eval trickey in source=() it's
not independent from that - only thing needed to update now is just bumping
the version number.

>From other changes:

- attr was missing in depends
- possibly controversial: system-wide vimrc now resides in /etc
- runtime path is not "simplified", so it resides in vim's default now
- datarootdir added to second configure to avoid /share/vim ... paths

Michal Soltys (1):
vim: make vim independent from manual patch batches + minor things

vim/.footprint | 2238 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------------------
vim/.md5sum | 140 ++++-
vim/Pkgfile | 82 ++-

1.7.3.5

Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Juergen Daubert

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:35:44PM +0100, Michal Soltys wrote:

Hi Michal,

thanks for the patch, comments below:

> This patch introduces small change that should make vim updates a bit
> less irritating - currently Pkgfile depends on manually prepared batches
> of official patches. With a bit of shell/eval trickey in source=() it's
> not independent from that - only thing needed to update now is just bumping
> the version number.

I prefer to stick with our patch-collections rather than populate users
disk with a lot of small patches

> >>From other changes:
>
> - attr was missing in depends

attr depends on acl, so it's not necessary to list attr

> - possibly controversial: system-wide vimrc now resides in /etc

see http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-7#ntoc26, we should not use /etc for
vim here

> - runtime path is not "simplified", so it resides in vim's default now

that's a regression IMO, we would break other stuff that installs vim
extensions

> - datarootdir added to second configure to avoid /share/vim ... paths

accepted, will fix that with the next release

Greetings
Juergen

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li
Korb, Germany | http://jue.li/crux

Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Michal Soltys

This patch introduces small change that should make vim updates a bit
less irritating - currently Pkgfile depends on manually prepared batches
of official patches. With a bit of shell/eval trickey in source=() it's
now independent from that - only thing needed to update now is just bumping
the version number.

I prefer to stick with our patch-collections rather than populate users
disk with a lot of small patches

All right. Though prtwash -s would do the thing

>> From other changes:

- attr was missing in depends

attr depends on acl, so it's not necessary to list attr

Ok - I assumed that all /direct/ dependencies of the binaries should be
listed (it's similar story with gcc's cc1, which directly depends on all
lib{gmp,mpc,mpfr} ).

- possibly controversial: system-wide vimrc now resides in /etc

see http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-7#ntoc26, we should not use /etc for
vim here

- runtime path is not "simplified", so it resides in vim's default now

that's a regression IMO, we would break other stuff that installs vim
extensions

You mean in preexisting users' installations ?

FWIW, quick grep over all ports' footprints showed no apparent problems
on this front at least, so I thought that was quick and safe change.

Point being of the change - I'm always uneasy about adjusting vim's
default directory layout.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Juergen Daubert

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:03:59PM +0100, Michal Soltys wrote:
> On 11-03-19 09:52, Juergen Daubert wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:35:44PM +0100, Michal Soltys wrote:
> >
> >Hi Michal,
> >
> >thanks for the patch, comments below:
> >
> >> This patch introduces small change that should make vim updates a bit
> >> less irritating - currently Pkgfile depends on manually prepared batches
> >> of official patches. With a bit of shell/eval trickey in source=() it's
> >> now independent from that - only thing needed to update now is just bumping
> >> the version number.
> >
> >I prefer to stick with our patch-collections rather than populate users
> >disk with a lot of small patches
> >

> All right. Though prtwash -s would do the thing

> >> - attr was missing in depends
> >
> >attr depends on acl, so it's not necessary to list attr
> >

> Ok - I assumed that all /direct/ dependencies of the binaries should
> be listed (it's similar story with gcc's cc1, which directly depends
> on all lib{gmp,mpc,mpfr} ).

No, our current rule is to list only the minimal set. The utility
'findredundantdeps' can be used to find redundant dependencies.

> >> - possibly controversial: system-wide vimrc now resides in /etc
> >
> >see http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-7#ntoc26, we should not use /etc for
> >vim here
> >
> >> - runtime path is not "simplified", so it resides in vim's default now
> >
> >that's a regression IMO, we would break other stuff that installs vim
> >extensions
>
> You mean in preexisting users' installations ?

Yeah. Users might have added files to e.g. /usr/share/vim/syntax.

> FWIW, quick grep over all ports' footprints showed no apparent
> problems on this front at least, so I thought that was quick and
> safe change.
> Point being of the change - I'm always uneasy about adjusting vim's
> default directory layout.

Sorry, but I don't get it why it's better to use a subdirectory
/usr/share/vim/vim73 instead of /usr/share/vim?
But well, I have no strong opinion here, if it simplifies things
somewhere we can do that But a change should be postponed until
the next CRUX release IMO.

regards
Juergen

Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Michal Soltys

Sorry, but I don't get it why it's better to use a subdirectory
/usr/share/vim/vim73 instead of /usr/share/vim?
But well, I have no strong opinion here, if it simplifies things
somewhere we can do that But a change should be postponed until
the next CRUX release IMO.

Actually, nvm about that part. VIMRTDIR adjusting seems pretty safe from
what I peeked around, and the same runtime dir regardless of vim version
is certainly simpler. If I find some actual problems related to
overriding that variable, the I'll bring back the topic.

Sorry for the noise.