-   -   can't get netgear wpn311 (AR5001X+ chip) wireless card to work (http://www.linux-archive.org/crux/481059-cant-get-netgear-wpn311-ar5001x-chip-wireless-card-work.html)

martu 01-25-2011 06:49 PM

can't get netgear wpn311 (AR5001X+ chip) wireless card to work

Hello,

I need some help getting my wireless card to work.
I have a Netgear WPN311 which uses the Atheros 5001x+ chip, according to lspci.
As far as I know there is no native linux driver for this card, but some site say that the ath5k driver should work.
The driver loads, recognizes the card (but as a AR2414 chip), but iwlist scanning says no results and when i try to connect to my network it just says ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0:link is not ready.

So next I wanted to try the windows driver with ndiswrapper, but ndiswrapper won't compile, because some errors in iw_ndis.c. I know that the included patch should resolve these problems, but i have tried a few patches and none of them worked.

So as my last resort i wanted to try madwifi, but it won't compile either with the error that it can't find linux/utsrelease.h.

My System:
CRUX 2.7
Kernel 2.6.37

--
martu <martu_xd@gmx.de>

Hannes Mayer 01-25-2011 07:06 PM

Am Dienstag 25 Januar 2011, 20:49:34 schrieb martu:
> Hello,
>
> I need some help getting my wireless card to work.
> I have a Netgear WPN311 which uses the Atheros 5001x+ chip, according to
> lspci. As far as I know there is no native linux driver for this card, but
> some site say that the ath5k driver should work. The driver loads,
> recognizes the card (but as a AR2414 chip), but iwlist scanning says no
> results and when i try to connect to my network it just says
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0:link is not ready.
>
> So next I wanted to try the windows driver with ndiswrapper, but
> ndiswrapper won't compile, because some errors in iw_ndis.c. I know that
> the included patch should resolve these problems, but i have tried a few
> patches and none of them worked.
>
> So as my last resort i wanted to try madwifi, but it won't compile either
> with the error that it can't find linux/utsrelease.h.
>
> My System:
> CRUX 2.7
> Kernel 2.6.37

The madwifi driver will work.

Juergen Daubert 01-26-2011 11:21 AM

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:06:24PM +0100, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> Am Dienstag 25 Januar 2011, 20:49:34 schrieb martu:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need some help getting my wireless card to work.
> > I have a Netgear WPN311 which uses the Atheros 5001x+ chip, according to
> > lspci. As far as I know there is no native linux driver for this card, but
> > some site say that the ath5k driver should work. The driver loads,
> > recognizes the card (but as a AR2414 chip), but iwlist scanning says no
> > results and when i try to connect to my network it just says
> > ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0:link is not ready.
> >
> > So next I wanted to try the windows driver with ndiswrapper, but
> > ndiswrapper won't compile, because some errors in iw_ndis.c. I know that
> > the included patch should resolve these problems, but i have tried a few
> > patches and none of them worked.
> >
> > So as my last resort i wanted to try madwifi, but it won't compile either
> > with the error that it can't find linux/utsrelease.h.
> >
> > My System:
> > CRUX 2.7
> > Kernel 2.6.37
>
> The madwifi driver will work.

I've just updated opt/madwifi to the latest snapshot-version which
should work with newer kernels. It builds for me, but I don't have
the corresponding hardware to do a real test. Please report back if
it works for you.

HTH
Juergen

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li
Korb, Germany | http://jue.li/crux

martu 01-28-2011 09:56 PM

can't get netgear wpn311 (AR5001X+ chip) wireless card to work

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:21:16 +0100
Juergen Daubert <jue@jue.li> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:06:24PM +0100, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> > Am Dienstag 25 Januar 2011, 20:49:34 schrieb martu:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I need some help getting my wireless card to work.
> > > I have a Netgear WPN311 which uses the Atheros 5001x+ chip, according to
> > > lspci. As far as I know there is no native linux driver for this card, but
> > > some site say that the ath5k driver should work. The driver loads,
> > > recognizes the card (but as a AR2414 chip), but iwlist scanning says no
> > > results and when i try to connect to my network it just says
> > > ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0:link is not ready.
> > >
> > > So next I wanted to try the windows driver with ndiswrapper, but
> > > ndiswrapper won't compile, because some errors in iw_ndis.c. I know that
> > > the included patch should resolve these problems, but i have tried a few
> > > patches and none of them worked.
> > >
> > > So as my last resort i wanted to try madwifi, but it won't compile either
> > > with the error that it can't find linux/utsrelease.h.
> > >
> > > My System:
> > > CRUX 2.7
> > > Kernel 2.6.37
> >
> > The madwifi driver will work.
>
> I've just updated opt/madwifi to the latest snapshot-version which
> should work with newer kernels. It builds for me, but I don't have
> the corresponding hardware to do a real test. Please report back if
> it works for you.
>

> HTH
> Juergen

Got it to compile, but had to activate "Cisco/Aironet" as a module in the kernel wireless settings (see http://madwifi-project.org/ticket/2383#comment:4 comments not the patch).

The modules are loading fine (see lsmod) and two new interfaces (ath0 and wifi0) are created.
But when I try to connect to the network with "wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iath0 -c/etc/wpa.conf && dhcpcd ath0" wpa_supplicant seems to work fine, but dhcpcd is just timing out.

When I try to do "wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc" it just says "wlanconfig: ioctl: Input/output error".

Everything except for glibc (2.12.1-1) and mesa3d (7.8.2-1) is up to date.

some output information:

lsmod:
Module Size Used by
wlan_scan_sta 7802 1
nvidia 9221113 28
ath_rate_sample 7893 1
ath_pci 64187 0
wlan 139778 4 wlan_scan_sta,ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
ath_hal 187477 3 ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
rt73usb 15085 0 <----------borrowed w-lan stick
crc_itu_t 957 1 rt73usb
rt2x00usb 6082 1 rt73usb
rt2x00lib 19611 2 rt73usb,rt2x00usb

dmesg | grep ath:
ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
ath_hal: 0.9.18.0 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
ath_pci: svn r4133 (branch madwifi-0.9.4)
ath_pci 0000:02:12.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
ath_rate_sample: 1.2 (svn r4133 (branch madwifi-0.9.4))
ath0: no IPv6 routers present

dmesg | grep wifi:
wlan: svn r4133 (branch madwifi-0.9.4)
ath_pci: svn r4133 (branch madwifi-0.9.4)
ath_rate_sample: 1.2 (svn r4133 (branch madwifi-0.9.4))
wifi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
wifi0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
wifi0: turboG rates: 6Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
wifi0: H/W encryption support: WEP AES AES_CCM TKIP
wifi0: mac 7.9 phy 4.5 radio 5.6
wifi0: Use hw queue 1 for WME_AC_BE traffic
wifi0: Use hw queue 0 for WME_AC_BK traffic
wifi0: Use hw queue 2 for WME_AC_VI traffic
wifi0: Use hw queue 3 for WME_AC_VO traffic
wifi0: Use hw queue 8 for CAB traffic
wifi0: Use hw queue 9 for beacons
wifi0: Atheros 5212: mem=0xceff0000, irq=19

--
martu <martu_xd@gmx.de>