Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański

Default NFS default version

Hi,

I've been working on my new CRUX box from some time (how you probably
have noticed) and I hit another interesting problem. This time NFS
and autofs/automount using NIS.

For some reason my box didn't like following command (called by autofs):

mount -t nfs filer01:/vol/homedirs/wawrzekn /home/wawrzekn

After some investigation I defined in /etc/autofs NFS default
protocol to 3 it didn't help. Later found that adding option vers=3
resolved my issue. So following command works fine:

mount -t nfs -o vers=3 filer01:/vol/homedirs/wawrzekn /home/wawrzekn

I wonder if by any chance CRUX assumes nfs should mount nfs as version 4?

Wawrzek
--
┬*Wawrzyniec Niewodnicza┼äski┬* ┬* ┬* vel Wawrzek Larry or LarryN
┬* ┬* Linux User #177124┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* E-MAIL: wawrzek@gmail.com

Old 11-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Juergen Daubert

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:53:31AM +0000, Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> Hi,

Hallo,

> I've been working on my new CRUX box from some time (how you probably
> have noticed) and I hit another interesting problem. This time NFS
> and autofs/automount using NIS.
>
> For some reason my box didn't like following command (called by autofs):
>
> mount -t nfs filer01:/vol/homedirs/wawrzekn /home/wawrzekn
>
> After some investigation I defined in /etc/autofs NFS default
> protocol to 3 it didn't help. Later found that adding option vers=3
> resolved my issue. So following command works fine:
>
> mount -t nfs -o vers=3 filer01:/vol/homedirs/wawrzekn /home/wawrzekn
>
> I wonder if by any chance CRUX assumes nfs should mount nfs as version 4?

Well, it's not CRUX but mount.nfs from the nfs-utils package togther
with your kernel which assumes something

Anyway, as of CRUX 2.7 nfs-utils are build with support for NFSv4.
Obviously you server (filer01) advertises v4 and mount.nfs tries to
use it.
See [1] for the main differences between v4 and older NFS versions,
particular exports works quite differently.

Usually you'll use something like 'mount -v -t filer01: /home' with
NFSv4 if filer01 exports the homedirs for all users. Note the -v
options above, to show a bit more verbose what mount is doing.

HTH
Juergen

[1] http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/using-nfsv4.html

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li
Korb, Germany | http://jue.li/crux

Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 AM

On 23 November 2010 13:00, Juergen Daubert <jue@jue.li> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:53:31AM +0000, Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hallo,
>

> Well, it's not CRUX but mount.nfs from the nfs-utils package togther
> with your kernel which assumes something

[...]

Yes, it' was my kernel. I built it with support only for NFS3. After
your message I rebuilt it and everything started to work

> Anyway, as of CRUX 2.7 nfs-utils are build with support for NFSv4.
> Obviously you server (filer01) ┬*advertises v4 and mount.nfs tries to
> use it.

I didn't know that you can that you can mount nfs4 using 'nfs' fs
type. I had done it always with 'nfs4' option.

Thanks for help.
Wawrzek