-   -   Kernel Problem Cont'd. (http://www.linux-archive.org/crux/45240-kernel-problem-contd.html)

Jeremy Heiler 02-02-2008 02:50 AM

Kernel Problem Cont'd.

Predrag Ivanovic wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:20:57 -0500
> Jeremy Heiler wrote:
>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I read the thread titled "Kernel Problem" and I would just like to
>> report that I've been having the exact same problem. (Except that I am
>> installing CRUX for the "first time" aka I'm not upgrading.) I'm still
>> trying to figure it out (and I'm sorry I don't have my config file
>> anymore to show) but Xubuntu installs just fine and I'll attach the
>> config file it generated so thagonzo can compare it to his.
>>

> IIRC, that kernel problem is
> "Kernel panic - not synching: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (8,1)"
> , right?
>
> Quote from http://www.siphos.be/node/25:
> "[...]Because the most likely reason for the error is because the kernel doesn't
> support the PCI controller, doesn't support the SATA/IDE controller, doesn't
> support SCSI/IDE disks and/or doesn't support the file system that you use on
> the root partition (mind you: support for that file system must be built-in in
> the kernel)."
>
> In this case, '(8,1)' refers to /dev/sda1:
> ls -al /dev/sda1
> brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 1 Jan 30 16:08 /dev/sda1
>
> Read that page for some tips for handling this problem, and post to the list
> results, please.
> BTW, have you tried building kernel on Crux with Xubuntu-generated .config?
> Also, you could try to build 2.6.24 ( latest and greatest :) ).
> If you still have problems, post output of 'lspci -v', lilo.conf and anything else
> that might help diagnosing the problem(use your common sense ;) ).
>
> HTH.
> Pedja

Thanks for the pointers! After hours of messing around I decided to
switch on all the options in the "SATA" section of menuconfig. It
worked, but now I just need to figure out which one of them did the
trick. :P

Thanks again!
Jer

Predrag Ivanovic 02-02-2008 06:22 AM

Kernel Problem Cont'd.

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 22:50:50 -0500
Jeremy Heiler wrote:

> Thanks for the pointers! After hours of messing around I decided to
> switch on all the options in the "SATA" section of menuconfig. It
> worked, but now I just need to figure out which one of them did the
> trick. :P

Use 'lspci -v | grep SATA' to find which SATA controler you have, on my system output is

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])

> Thanks again!

No problem :)

Pedja
--