Old 10-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański

Default Crux on RAID/LVM (bootloader)

Hi,

Have any of you successful install CRUX on software RAID?

I would like to have (if possible):
RAID 1 on sda and sdb, with md0p1 as a boot partition and md0p2 as LVM
group with root and other partition.

Installation went fine, but both LILO and GRUB don't want to
cooperate. Any ideas?

Wawrzek

--
┬*Wawrzyniec Niewodnicza┼äski┬* ┬* ┬* vel Wawrzek Larry or LarryN
┬* ┬* Linux User #177124┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* E-MAIL: wawrzek@gmail.com

Old 10-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Juergen Daubert

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 04:40:09PM +0100, Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> Have any of you successful install CRUX on software RAID?
>
> I would like to have (if possible):
> RAID 1 on sda and sdb, with md0p1 as a boot partition and md0p2 as LVM
> group with root and other partition.
>

> Installation went fine, but both LILO and GRUB don't want to
> cooperate. Any ideas?

we have a wiki-page about that, see http://crux.nu/Wiki/LILOBootFromRaid1,
but it might be necessary to use version 0.90 metadata format.

HTH
Juergen

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li
Korb, Germany | http://jue.li/crux

Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Clemens Koller

Hi there!

Have any of you successful install CRUX on software RAID?

I would like to have (if possible):
RAID 1 on sda and sdb, with md0p1 as a boot partition and md0p2 as LVM
group with root and other partition.

Installation went fine, but both LILO and GRUB don't want to
cooperate. Any ideas?

we have a wiki-page about that, see http://crux.nu/Wiki/LILOBootFromRaid1,
but it might be necessary to use version 0.90 metadata format.

Please note that my Wiki only uses plain md compiled into the kernel without
lvm or other bells'n'whistles.

LILO is written to both harddisks.
That doesn't necessarily mean that LILO is able to boot the system when a
harddisk is broken but still visible to the bios.

Well, there is no need to reboot usually, but if you really need/want
to reboot, disable the broken boot harddisk in the bios.

Greets,

Clemens

Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Juergen Daubert

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 04:40:09PM +0100, Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have any of you successful install CRUX on software RAID?
>
> I would like to have (if possible):
> RAID 1 on sda and sdb, with md0p1 as a boot partition and md0p2 as LVM
> group with root and other partition.
>

> Installation went fine, but both LILO and GRUB don't want to
> cooperate. Any ideas?

FYI, I've just updated lilo to version 23.1 which has some improvements
with regards to MD/LVM. See http://tinyurl.com/3763b5z.

Greetings
Juergen