Old 07-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Chris Kruger

Default Share what I learned (Intel i915, Kernel 2.6.24.1 and Xorg 1.8.1)

Hello People,

I just thought I'd share with somebody what I learning upgrading the
kernel on my CRUX distribution. Now I might be wrong and I'd be
interested to hear from others who have some experience in this area.
If not it might be useful to other upgraders, or to those who are
working on the next release.

The context

- CRUX 2.6
- Intel i915 graphics chip on my motherboard
- Upgraded Kernel to 2.6.34.1
- Upgraded Xorg server to 1.8.1
- Upgraded i915 X server driver to 2.12.0
- Mesa 7.8.2
- Lib DRM 2.4.21

After upgrading I was having enourmous trouble getting X to start, it
kept trying to open the /dev/dri/card0 node and failing. Initial
Google searches for this problem suggested that X is responsible for
opening this dev node.

Looking more into the problem I believe I've arrived at the conclusion.

- Since Intel i915 driver version 2.9.0, graphics driver modesretting
as changed. Userspace Mode Setting has been removed. Kernelspace Mode
Setting is the only option.
- The Kernel needs to be compiled with i915 driver, KMS enabled and
the fbcon enabled. Also intelagp (agpgart)
- I'm concluding that in Crux 2.6 udev configuration assumes that X
will be creating the /dev/dri/card0 node, however in this upgrade
scenario it is in fact the Kernel that wants to create /dev/dri/card0
and should be responsible for that (can anyone confirm 100%?). I
removed the udev configuration supressor line (the comment implies X
should be responsible for it) for /dev/dri/card0 and my X problems
were solved.
- I noted that module argument i915.modeset = 0, while disabling
Kernel modesetting, also disables any possibility of 3D acceleration
in X. In retrospect this should have been obvious to me.

* ubuntu have provided a backported intel 2.9.0 driver for system
running 2.6.34 which supports UMS and KMS, thus providing more
flexibility for now. I looked into this for myself, but it seemed a
little pointless considering KMS is supposedly the future. Although I
don't particularly like the default high resoluton console.

* I still have trouble with my keyboard and mouse trying to
autoconfigure in X from hald, but they work if I force X to configure
them. Not sure what's the cause of this yet, but probably totally
unrelated to the above.

Chris K.
chris.kruger@gmail.com