Old 05-22-2010, 03:41 PM
justin domingue

Default Kernel Compilation Problem

Hi,

I'm starting with CRUX Linux and like it pretty much from what I've seen (especially philosophy).

My problem is that I've never compiled my kernel, so I don't know what to put and my system would not boot because of that (well I think... I get this error : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on block () ).
So i wanted to know if I could copy the CD kernel image... Would everything be okay if I was to do that?

Thanks.

10 000 $ de magasinage avec Hotmail. Inscrivez-vous!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:19 PM
James Mills

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 1:41 AM, justin domingue
<justin.domingue@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> I'm starting with CRUX Linux and like it pretty much from what I've seen
> (especially philosophy).

Welcome to CRUX! It rocks

> My problem is that I've never compiled my kernel, so I don't know what to
> put and my system would not boot because of that (well I think... I get this
> error : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on block () ).
> So i wanted to know if I could copy the CD kernel image... Would everything
> be okay if I was to do that?

The latest (2.6) CRUX installation CD's Kernel will not work
out of the box (anymore?). It will not have the file system
(likely) that you've probably formatted your disk with.

You must compile the kernel yourself.

Once you've partitioned your disk, formatted it and run setup
chroot into your new system (using setup-chroot helper script)
and perform the following:

$ cd /usr/src/
$ ln -s linux-x.y.z linux # I like doing this
$ cd linux
$ make menuconfig # See notes below
$ make all
$ make modules_install
$ make install

Notes:

When "configuring your Kernel", be sure to (at the very least):

1. Select your Processor Type.
2. Select your File System Type.

Ensure that the above are "compiled-in" and NOT "modules".

cheers
James

Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Hazel Russman

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 12:41:34 -0300
> From: justin domingue <justin.domingue@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Kernel Compilation Problem
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm starting with CRUX Linux and like it pretty much from what I've seen (especially philosophy).
>
> My problem is that I've never compiled my kernel, so I don't know what to put and my system would not boot because of that (well I think... I get this error : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on block () ).
> So i wanted to know if I could copy the CD kernel image... Would everything be okay if I was to do that?
>
> Thanks.

There are three things you need to have compiled right into your kernel, i.e. not as modules:

1) The correct driver for the type of hard drive you are using - SATA/PATA will work for both sata and ide drives, the old IDE driver for traditional ide drives only.

2) A driver for the filesystem of your root partition - ext2, ext3, reiserfs or whatever you're using.

3) A driver for the hard drive controller on your motherboard; I think most of these are included by default.

You also need to use the correct designation for your root partition in lilo or grub, and in /etc/fstab. For the IDE driver, use hd*, for the new SATA/PATA driver, use sd*.

And make full use of kernel help; it's the best computerised help system ever designed.
--
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk>

Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Danny Rawlins

James Mills wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 1:41 AM, justin domingue
> <justin.domingue@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

> Hi
>

>> I'm starting with CRUX Linux and like it pretty much from what I've seen
>> (especially philosophy).
>>

> Welcome to CRUX! It rocks
>

>> My problem is that I've never compiled my kernel, so I don't know what to
>> put and my system would not boot because of that (well I think... I get this
>> error : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on block () ).
>> So i wanted to know if I could copy the CD kernel image... Would everything
>> be okay if I was to do that?
>>

> The latest (2.6) CRUX installation CD's Kernel will not work
> out of the box (anymore?). It will not have the file system
> (likely) that you've probably formatted your disk with.
>
> You must compile the kernel yourself.
>
> Once you've partitioned your disk, formatted it and run setup
> chroot into your new system (using setup-chroot helper script)
> and perform the following:
>
> $ cd /usr/src/
> $ ln -s linux-x.y.z linux # I like doing this

I would not recommend doing that now it's bad practice.
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/usr-src-linux-symlink.html
http://bugs.gentoo.org/17349 for some examples of why this is bad.

I use /usr/src/linux-$(uname -r)