Old 05-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Hazel Russman

Default Problem with xorg-server-1.8.1

After upgrading xorg-server from 1.7.6 to 1.8.1, I was not able to get my input devices (mouse and keyboard) recognised. The intel video driver worked after being rebuilt against the new server, but rebuilding the input device drivers had no effect. I have now restored the old version and its drivers and everything works normally.
--
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk>

Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Michael Norris

Hazel,

I had the same problem and was able to fix it by adding the following line to my xorg.conf file.

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

I also found a second way to fix the problem. I needed to have hal running and enable input events in my kernel .config (and recompile the kernel). I hope this helps.

Mike

________________________________

Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Fredrik Rinnestam

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 02:07:47PM -0700, Michael Norris wrote:
> I also found a second way to fix the problem. I needed to have hal running and enable input events in my kernel .config (and recompile the kernel). I hope this helps.
>
> Mike

HAL is not used by xorg-server 1.8 in any way. it depends on udev to
supply input devices. As to why "it doesnt work", i dont know. perhaps
it has something to do with evdev not being installed and supported by
the kernel. some logs would help to track down the problem (as usual).

--

/Fredrik Rinnestam

Old 05-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Yahoo

Hi all,

you have to put something like this in youre xorg.conf:

Section "InputClass"

*** Identifier "keyboard"

*** Driver "evdev"

*** MatchIsKeyboard "on"

*** Option "xkblayout" "de"

*** Option "xkbvariant" "nodeadkeys"

EndSection

Section "InputClass"

*** Identifier**** "Logitech MX
Revolution"

*** MatchIsPointer "on"

*** Driver "evdev"

EndSection

Note the "InputClass" instead "InputDevice"

Old 05-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Hazel Russman

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:07:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Michael Norris <miken08003@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Problem with xorg-server-1.8.1
> To: Crux <crux@lists.crux.nu>
>

> Hazel,
>
> I had the same problem and was able to fix it by adding the following line to my xorg.conf file.
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
> EndSection
>

> I also found a second way to fix the problem. I needed to have hal running and enable input events in my kernel .config (and recompile the kernel). I hope this helps.
>
> Mike
Thanks, Mike. Your xorg.conf modification did the trick. I have disallowed both AutoAddDevices and AllowEmptyInput and the new server now works perfectly. I really don't want to complicate Crux's beautiful simplicity with all that hal stuff; I chose Crux to get away from that sort of thing.
--
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk>