Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Johnny

Default tar.xz packages support

Hi.
I'd like to ask if there are any plans to include support of tar.xz packages in upcoming releases of
pkgutils? Just like Archlinux did http://www.archlinux.org/news/490/. Thanks.
Sergei.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Juergen Daubert

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:43:13AM +0400, Johnny wrote:
> Hi.

Hello Sergei,

> I'd like to ask if there are any plans to include support of tar.xz packages in upcoming releases of
> pkgutils? Just like Archlinux did http://www.archlinux.org/news/490/. Thanks.

This was already discussed a bit, see [1]. Having packages compressed
with xz make sense if you distribute binary packages like arch does, but
not for sources-based distro like CRUX.
IMO it's not acceptable if every user has to wait a factor of 16 longer
until pkgmk has compressed the package.

regards
Juergen

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.crux.devel/2117

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li
Korb, Germany | http://jue.li/crux

Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Juergen Daubert

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:40:07AM +0200, Juergen Daubert wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:43:13AM +0400, Johnny wrote:
> > Hi.
>
> Hello Sergei,
>
> > I'd like to ask if there are any plans to include support of tar.xz packages in upcoming releases of
> > pkgutils? Just like Archlinux did http://www.archlinux.org/news/490/. Thanks.
>
> This was already discussed a bit, see [1]. Having packages compressed
> with xz make sense if you distribute binary packages like arch does, but
> not for sources-based distro like CRUX.
> IMO it's not acceptable if every user has to wait a factor of 16 longer
> until pkgmk has compressed the package.

* of course the compression time ratio between xz and gzip depends on
many factors and is not a constant, 16 was just the number I got for the
example in [1].

Old 04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Johnny

> On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:40:07AM +0200, Juergen Daubert wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:43:13AM +0400, Johnny wrote:
> > > Hi.
> >
> > Hello Sergei,
> >
> > > I'd like to ask if there are any plans to include support of tar.xz packages in upcoming releases of
> > > pkgutils? Just like Archlinux did http://www.archlinux.org/news/490/. Thanks.
> >
> > This was already discussed a bit, see [1]. Having packages compressed
> > with xz make sense if you distribute binary packages like arch does, but
> > not for sources-based distro like CRUX.
> > IMO it's not acceptable if every user has to wait a factor of 16 longer
> > until pkgmk has compressed the package.
But what about the choice? You just could add some variable like PKGMK_EXT=gz or xz to let the user deceide
himself. That could be a wise decision.

> * of course the compression time ratio between xz and gzip depends on
> many factors and is not a constant, 16 was just the number I got for the
> example in [1].
But you could simply adjust the comression ratio for xz to recieve a good balance between time/space.
Also i heard that decompression time for xz is almost the same as for gz, plus users will get a smaller
distro size to download. http://linuxgazette.net/162/lindholm.html

Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Johnny

Here's a quick test with our latest xulrunner package:

$:> mkdir foo
$:> tar -C foo -xf xulrunner#1.9.0.11-1.pkg.tar.gz

$:> time tar -czf foo.tar.gz foo
real 0m4.409s
user 0m4.250s
sys 0m0.150s

$:> time tar -cJf foo.tar.xz foo # -9 compression
real 1m11.419s
user 1m10.950s
sys 0m0.570s

$:> echo 'scale=2; (60+11.42)/4.41' | bc
16.19

$:> ls -l *.gz *.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 juergen users 18224116 Jun 15 10:02 foo.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 juergen users 12979240 Jun 15 10:04 foo.tar.xz

Well, IMHO i don't think that time spent to compress xulrunner would be much longer than time spent to
compile it. And there're not that many BIG packages and they are compiled not that often to care about it i
suppose.