Old 01-10-2008, 06:51 PM
"Glenn Margewich"

Default How do I install x system?

Hello everyone,

I just installed crux 2.4. I am in the early stages of learning the
package management, config file locations, etc. So, please be easy on
me.

At best I am an intermediate linux user, but I like the crux approach.

My goal: to setup my laptop using a fluxbox setup. Currently I have a
textual system...bare bones. I may also like to install kde.

Where do I start? I did read the KDE page on crux website, but I had
problems using the kdebase script. when I run :

# prt-get depinst --install-scripts kdebase

I receive an error that 'kdebase' could not be found.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Kevin Monceaux

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Glenn Margewich wrote:

> I just installed crux 2.4. I am in the early stages of learning the
> package management, config file locations, etc. So, please be easy on
> me.

Welcome to the CRUX world!! Congratulations on a successful install!!

> Where do I start?

At the beginning. :-) Sorry, I couldn't resist. If you only have a text
based system so far and haven't installed Xorg yet, a good place to start
would be:

http://CRUX.nu/Main/InstallingX11R7

> I did read the KDE page on crux website, but I had problems using the
> kdebase script. when I run :
>
> # prt-get depinst --install-scripts kdebase
>
> I receive an error that 'kdebase' could not be found.

Like Xorg, KDE is in a separate repo that isn't installed/enabled by
default. I use Xfce myself, but a quick search on CRUX.nu turned up:

http://crux.nu/Main/KDEPorts

Which has a small section on performing an "Automated" KDE install, but it
doesn't mention how to set up the KDE ports tree. You would do that
basically the same way as you added the Xorg ports tree to your system
above. You can find all the available repos, both official and user
contributed, by clicking on the "Ports" menu link from any page on the
CRUX.nu site.

If you haven't checked out the "Post Install Notes" page at:

http://CRUX.nu/Public/PostInstallationNotes

yet, those are also helpful, especially the bit about adding a SourceForge
mirror to your /etc/hosts file. Without it, most ports that depend on
source code from SourceForge will fail to download the sources. Should
that note perhaps be added to the handbook?

Also, when trying to find info if you go to http://CRUX.nu and scroll down
to the menu links at the bottom of the page there is a search link which
can be invaluable.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX

Old 01-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Mikhail Kolesnik

Hello, Glenn.

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:51:25 -0600
"Glenn Margewich" <ddaglenn@gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
> My goal: to setup my laptop using a fluxbox setup. Currently I have a
> textual system...bare bones. I may also like to install kde.
>
> Where do I start? I did read the KDE page on crux website, but I had
> problems using the kdebase script. when I run :
>
> # prt-get depinst --install-scripts kdebase
>
> I receive an error that 'kdebase' could not be found.

To use collections others than installed by default you have to add a
ports collection configuration file to /etc/ports. Take a look at
existing ones to get an idea of how it should look.

These configuration files can be found at ports database [1]. You can
get the 'kde.rsync' file clicking on [2]. I suggest you to adjust it a
bit to point to the 2.3 branch, which has newer ports. For an example of
enabling/adding a new ports collection see [3].

To let prt-get know about a new repo also add a line like:
prtdir /usr/ports/kde

Do not forget to run 'ports -u' after adding new ports collections.

After that you should be able to use the prt-get for installing kde. Be
sure to read the /usr/ports/kde/kdebase/FAQ,README.

The next thing to read would be prt-get(8),ports(8) & pkginfo(8)
manual pages.

[1] http://crux.nu/portdb/
[2] http://crux.nu/portdb/?a=getup&q=kde
[3] http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-4#ntoc45

--
Mikhail Kolesnik
ICQ: 260259143

Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Mikhail Kolesnik

Hello, Mikhail.

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:34:03 +0200
Mikhail Kolesnik <mike@openbunker.org> wrote:
>[...]
> To let prt-get know about a new repo also add a line like:
> prtdir /usr/ports/kde
to /etc/prt-get.conf

Old 01-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Mikhail Kolesnik

Hello, Kevin.

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:21:06 -0600 (CST)
Kevin Monceaux <Kevin@RawFedDogs.net> wrote:

>[...]
> If you haven't checked out the "Post Install Notes" page at:
>
> http://CRUX.nu/Public/PostInstallationNotes
>
> yet, those are also helpful, especially the bit about adding a SourceForge
> mirror to your /etc/hosts file. Without it, most ports that depend on
> source code from SourceForge will fail to download the sources. Should
> that note perhaps be added to the handbook?

I suppose, that is beyond the scope of the Handbook. It is in the
FAQ [1]. You'll have to try a few mirrors before choosing the one that
works better for you.

Use '/usr/bin/dig download.sf.net' (from core/bindutils) to find a
_current_ list of available mirrors' ip addresses.

[1] http://crux.nu/Main/Faq#ntoc23

Old 01-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Thomas Penteker

* Glenn Margewich (ddaglenn@gmail.com) wrote:
> # prt-get depinst --install-scripts kdebase
>
> I receive an error that 'kdebase' could not be found.

You have to get the the kde.rsync file
<http://crux.nu/portdb/?a=getup&q=kde> and move it to /etc/ports

Then you do

$ ports -u

which syncs your local ports-dirs to be up-to-date ( now you should habe
something like /usr/ports/kde/ and so on ). Now you have to add a line

prtdir /usr/ports/kde

to your /etc/prt-get.conf to make the new repo know to prt-get. After these steps a

$ prt-get depinst --install-scripts kdebase

should start successful.

btw: of course your ports don't have to be located in /usr/ports but that's
the default location.

btw^2: in ``--install-scripts kdebase' the kdebase is the port and
--install-scripts the instruction to ``Execute pre-install and post-install
script if they're there' (according to man 8 prt-get)

btw^3: all this information has been taken from the handbook and documentation
from crux.nu and the various man pages (prt-get, prt-get.conf, ..). It's out
there, for you, too! <RTFM>

kind regards, Thomas Penteker
--
excess surge protection

Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Alan Mizrahi

El Jue 10 Ene 2008, Mikhail Kolesnik escribió:
> Hello, Mikhail.
>
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:34:03 +0200
>
> Mikhail Kolesnik <mike@openbunker.org> wrote:
> >[...]
> > To let prt-get know about a new repo also add a line like:
> > prtdir /usr/ports/kde
>
> to /etc/prt-get.conf

Be sure to add /usr/ports/kde before /usr/ports/opt, or else you will end up
with an older version of qt3.

--
Alan