Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 AM
"Ernst Einstein"

Default best workflow for defective packages?

Hi,

I'm new to crux (used debian and gentoo before) and I've a little question:

After I installed crux, I tried to install lsof to test the usage of the ports system. Well, when running pkgmk, I get an error, that the source file is no longer available. (No wonder, package what to install lsof 4.82, server only contains 4.83)

What is your normal doing when getting such an error? Just fixing the package file, creating a new md5 sum and installing it?
Or do you create an own ports tree(for all defective and own packages), copy the files, change what ever necessary and install it?

best regards,
Ernst

Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Bernd Eggink

I'm new to crux (used debian and gentoo before) and I've a little question:

After I installed crux, I tried to install lsof to test the usage of the ports system. Well, when running pkgmk, I get an error, that the source file is no longer available. (No wonder, package what to install lsof 4.82, server only contains 4.83)

What is your normal doing when getting such an error? Just fixing the package file, creating a new md5 sum and installing it?
Or do you create an own ports tree(for all defective and own packages), copy the files, change what ever necessary and install it?

I always use an own collection, containing all the ports I have changed
or want to keep up-to-date. I never use contrib or any of the individual
collections directly, as they are frequently out of date. This even
regards to some ports from opt.

Greetings,
Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
http://sudrala.de

Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Victor Martinez

I'm new to crux (used debian and gentoo before) and I've a little question:

After I installed crux, I tried to install lsof to test the usage of the ports system. Well, when running pkgmk, I get an error, that the source file is no longer available. (No wonder, package what to install lsof 4.82, server only contains 4.83)

there is a bug report section in the official web page, and it can be
used to fill this kind of bugs. you can make your own repo to start
using a new version before the maintainer keep it up to date, but the
point of flyspray is to keep the ports tree updated.

What is your normal doing when getting such an error? Just fixing the package file, creating a new md5 sum and installing it?
Or do you create an own ports tree(for all defective and own packages), copy the files, change what ever necessary and install it?

best regards,
Ernst

regards.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Victor Martinez

I'm new to crux (used debian and gentoo before) and I've a little
question:

After I installed crux, I tried to install lsof to test the usage of
the ports system. Well, when running pkgmk, I get an error, that the
source file is no longer available. (No wonder, package what to
install lsof 4.82, server only contains 4.83)

What is your normal doing when getting such an error? Just fixing the
package file, creating a new md5 sum and installing it?
Or do you create an own ports tree(for all defective and own
packages), copy the files, change what ever necessary and install it?

I always use an own collection, containing all the ports I have
changed or want to keep up-to-date. I never use contrib or any of the
individual collections directly, as they are frequently out of date.
This even regards to some ports from opt.

that's the way to go to keep personal repositories and contrib out of
date, filling bugs keep maintainers notified if they didn't see an
update, or an email to the maintainer talking about the
update/request/problem will help to keep an updated ports tree.

Greetings,
Bernd

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Bernd Eggink

I always use an own collection, containing all the ports I have
changed or want to keep up-to-date. I never use contrib or any of the
individual collections directly, as they are frequently out of date.
This even regards to some ports from opt.

that's the way to go to keep personal repositories and contrib out of
date, filling bugs keep maintainers notified if they didn't see an
update, or an email to the maintainer talking about the
update/request/problem will help to keep an updated ports tree.

The simple reason is, I'm in the habit of keeping my system up to date
on a daily basis (which is a bit extreme, I know), but I don't expect
others to be that fast. Apart from that, I really don't feel like
sending dozens of emails to individual maintainers whose ports are
several versions behind. I may be wrong, but to me this indicates that
they have lost interest.

Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
http://sudrala.de

Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Victor Martinez

[...]

really I can understand that for personal repositories, but not for
contrib. If we (maintainers, developers, users, ...) don't keep
collections up to date, with the ways which are provided (malining
lists, irc, flyspray or directly sending an email to the maintainer)
then things will be hard to fix. I manage some contrib ports and 2
personal collections, and the number of mails/bugs from them are quite low.

If we don't improve the ports tree, then ports will be outdated. The
point is, is it better to keep a personal way to fix things or let other
users and maintainers know about them.

Bernd

regards.

--