Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Vitaly Sinilin

Default rsync download command from http://crux.nu/portdb/

Hi,

Recently I noticed several files and directories under /usr/ports
on my CRUX box owned by non-privileged users. Moreover, some of them
were owned by nonexistent users.

It looked strange to me and after some thoughts I found the reason of
that. These directories have been created using download commands from
http://crux.nu/portdb/ as the super-user. For example,

rsync -aqz crux.nu:orts/crux-2.6/opt/git/ git

The problem is in the -a option of rsync. It includes -u and -g options.
So when the command is being executed as the super-user it preserve
owner and group of the transferred files.

Such behavior doesn't look like the one that user expects, as the
source and target hosts have thier own user accounts. So from my point
of view the following command is more appropriate:

rsync -rlptDqz crux.nu:orts/crux-2.6/opt/git/ git

Yes, it looks cumbersome, but at least it does exactly what user
expects.

--
Vitaly Sinilin <vs@kp4.ru>

Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Lucas Hazel

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 21:32 +0300, Vitaly Sinilin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I noticed several files and directories under /usr/ports
> on my CRUX box owned by non-privileged users. Moreover, some of them
> were owned by nonexistent users.
>
> It looked strange to me and after some thoughts I found the reason of
> that. These directories have been created using download commands from
> http://crux.nu/portdb/ as the super-user. For example,
>
> rsync -aqz crux.nu:orts/crux-2.6/opt/git/ git
>
> The problem is in the -a option of rsync. It includes -u and -g options.
> So when the command is being executed as the super-user it preserve
> owner and group of the transferred files.
>
> Such behavior doesn't look like the one that user expects, as the
> source and target hosts have thier own user accounts. So from my point
> of view the following command is more appropriate:
>
> rsync -rlptDqz crux.nu:orts/crux-2.6/opt/git/ git
>
> Yes, it looks cumbersome, but at least it does exactly what user
> expects.

Has anyone had a chance to test this?

My CRUX box is down due to hardware failure, so I haven't had much CRUX
time lately.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Juergen Daubert

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:09:59AM +0000, Lucas Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 21:32 +0300, Vitaly Sinilin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I noticed several files and directories under /usr/ports
> > on my CRUX box owned by non-privileged users. Moreover, some of them
> > were owned by nonexistent users.
> >
> > It looked strange to me and after some thoughts I found the reason of
> > that. These directories have been created using download commands from
> > http://crux.nu/portdb/ as the super-user. For example,
> >
> > rsync -aqz crux.nu:orts/crux-2.6/opt/git/ git
> >
> > The problem is in the -a option of rsync. It includes -u and -g options.
> > So when the command is being executed as the super-user it preserve
> > owner and group of the transferred files.
> >
> > Such behavior doesn't look like the one that user expects, as the
> > source and target hosts have thier own user accounts. So from my point
> > of view the following command is more appropriate:
> >
> > rsync -rlptDqz crux.nu:orts/crux-2.6/opt/git/ git
> >
> > Yes, it looks cumbersome, but at least it does exactly what user
> > expects.
> >

> Has anyone had a chance to test this?

Yes, can confirm the behaviour the OP has seen. I'd suggest to use
the same options we use in our rsync ports driver, -rcz.

greetings
Juergen

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li