Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Hazel Russman

Default xorg-server killed my mouse

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:08:32 Chris Shrigley <cshrigley@f2s.com> wrote:
> Are you sure it was not the udev upgrade that
> caused the problem? It did for me. I found that > downgrading to the udev-146 package fixed it.

I just found a better solution, borrowed from
Debian. Create a general rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d
and give it a name that will precede anything else
(I used the Debian name 50-udev.rules). Put in it
the following rule:
KERNEL=="mice", NAME="input/%k"

Then /dev/input/mice is created as before and the
mouse works.

btw How do I get my replies to follow the existing
thread instead of starting a new one? I've never
been on a mailing list before and I don't know how
to do things properly. Apologies.
--
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk>

Old 12-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Chris Shrigley

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:40:54 +0000
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:08:32 Chris Shrigley <cshrigley@f2s.com> wrote:
> > Are you sure it was not the udev upgrade that
> > caused the problem? It did for me. I found that > downgrading to the udev-146 package fixed it.
>
> I just found a better solution, borrowed from
> Debian. Create a general rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d
> and give it a name that will precede anything else
> (I used the Debian name 50-udev.rules). Put in it
> the following rule:
> KERNEL=="mice", NAME="input/%k"
>
> Then /dev/input/mice is created as before and the
> mouse works.

Yes, thanks, that was the problem. I found that upgrading to the latest
kernel will also fix the problem as the file is created automatically
by the kernel.

Chris Shrigley <cshrigley@f2s.com>