Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Hazel Russman

Default xorg-server upgrade killed my mouse

I have just upgraded xorg-server to 1.7.3. My keyboard works but my mouse is completely dead. The current mouse driver (not upgraded) is xorg-xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0-1.

I tried removing the mouse driver, rebuilding and reinstalling it. I also tried removing both the server and the mouse driver and reinstalling both. Both attempts failed to cure the problem. Revdep shows nothing suspicious.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf is attached; it has not been altered in any way.

Can anyone suggest a way to proceed?

Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Bernd Eggink

I have just upgraded xorg-server to 1.7.3. My keyboard works but my mouse is completely dead. The current mouse driver (not upgraded) is xorg-xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0-1.

I tried removing the mouse driver, rebuilding and reinstalling it. I also tried removing both the server and the mouse driver and reinstalling both. Both attempts failed to cure the problem. Revdep shows nothing suspicious.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf is attached; it has not been altered in any way.

Can anyone suggest a way to proceed?

I had a similar problem once and solved it with this addition:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
Option "DisableEvdev"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
EndSection

HTH, Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
http://sudrala.de

Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Hazel Russman

I have tracked down the problem. It isn't xorg that's at fault but udev, which was updated in the same sysup operation.

udev used to create a device (or perhaps a link - I don't know which) called /dev/input/mice, and this is what my xorg.conf file specifies as the mouse device. Now it isn't created anymore. When I created a link of that name by hand to /dev/mouse0 and restarted X, the mouse worked as before.

Obviously that isn't a proper solution, it's a bodge. So what should I do? Should I change xorg.conf to point directly at /dev/mouse0 or is there a way to make udev create /dev/input/mice at boot again?

Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk>

Old 12-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Chris Shrigley

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:34:44 +0000 (GMT)
Hazel Russman <hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I have just upgraded xorg-server to 1.7.3. My keyboard works but my mouse is completely dead. The current mouse driver (not upgraded) is xorg-xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0-1.
>
> I tried removing the mouse driver, rebuilding and reinstalling it. I also tried removing both the server and the mouse driver and reinstalling both. Both attempts failed to cure the problem. Revdep shows nothing suspicious.
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf is attached; it has not been altered in any way.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to proceed?

Are you sure it was not the udev upgrade that caused the problem? It did for me. I found that downgrading to the udev-146 package fixed it.

Chris Shrigley <cshrigley@f2s.com>