FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CRUX > CRUX

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Clemens Koller
 
Default m4-1.4.10 build: conftest segfaults, request for feedback/test

A happy new year to the CRUX team and the 2.4 release! :-)

I am about to plan a live-upgrade of a production machine from 2.3 to 2.4.
During some test-builds, I ran into a little problem while building the
current m4-1.4.10 on an i686 environment:

conftest segfaults during the ./configure process of m4 while
checking whether printf supports infinite 'long double' arguments... no

It can be noticed in the kernel log (if appropriate logging is enabled):
Jan 4 14:00:53 box74238 kernel: conftest[30531]: segfault at 0804b000 eip b7e7796c esp bfae34a0 error 6

This was also reported on an x86_64 system:
http://www.nabble.com/m4-1.4.10-segfault-with-x86_64-during-.-configure-when-checking-whether-printf-supports-infinite-'long-double'-arguments-td14320530.html

Does anybody run into similar things?
Can you please check by a simple pkgmk m4?
I am not sure about which fix is the correct approach. Several
patches are mentioned in above thread.

Any ideas here?

Regards,
--
Clemens Koller
_______________________________
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Str. 45/1
81379 Muenchen
Germany

http://www.anagramm-technology.com
Phone: +49-89-741518-50
Fax: +49-89-741518-19
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Mikhail Kolesnik
 
Default m4-1.4.10 build: conftest segfaults, request for feedback/test

Hello, Clemens.

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:39:11 +0100
Clemens Koller <clemens.koller@anagramm.de> wrote:

> [...]
> conftest segfaults during the ./configure process of m4 while
> checking whether printf supports infinite 'long double' arguments... no
>
> It can be noticed in the kernel log (if appropriate logging is enabled):
> Jan 4 14:00:53 box74238 kernel: conftest[30531]: segfault at 0804b000 eip b7e7796c esp bfae34a0 error 6
I can confirm the same segfault in my log on crux-2.4, i686 during m4
rebuild.

--
Mikhail Kolesnik
ICQ: 260259143
IRC: mike_k at freenode/#crux, rusnet/#yalta
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Predrag Ivanovic
 
Default m4-1.4.10 build: conftest segfaults, request for feedback/test

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:39:11 +0100
Clemens Koller wrote:

> A happy new year to the CRUX team and the 2.4 release! :-)

Happy New Year
<snip>
>
> It can be noticed in the kernel log (if appropriate logging is enabled):
> Jan 4 14:00:53 box74238 kernel: conftest[30531]: segfault at 0804b000 eip
> b7e7796c esp bfae34a0 error 6
<snip>
>
> Does anybody run into similar things?
> Can you please check by a simple pkgmk m4?

I also get similar message in kernel logs:
[202662.242482] conftest[5098]: segfault at 0804b000 eip b7edfd6c esp bff6f43c error 6

There is a patch at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-m4/2007-12/msg00004.html, it's a tiny one,
so I think it would be safe to apply it, but I'll wait for core team

Pedja
--
>"Marketing are the people who hold the customers down while Sales screws
>them".
And Support means you get to stand there holding the box of willy-wipes
for afterward. - Phil Launchbury and AdB in Monastery (where else?)
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 01-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Clemens Koller
 
Default m4-1.4.10 build: conftest segfaults, request for feedback/test

Predrag Ivanovic schrieb:
> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:39:11 +0100
> Clemens Koller wrote:
> <snip>
>> It can be noticed in the kernel log (if appropriate logging is enabled):
>> Jan 4 14:00:53 box74238 kernel: conftest[30531]: segfault at 0804b000 eip
>> b7e7796c esp bfae34a0 error 6
> <snip>
>> Does anybody run into similar things?
>> Can you please check by a simple pkgmk m4?
>
> I also get similar message in kernel logs:
> [202662.242482] conftest[5098]: segfault at 0804b000 eip b7edfd6c esp bff6f43c error 6
>
> There is a patch at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-m4/2007-12/msg00004.html, it's a tiny one,
> so I think it would be safe to apply it, but I'll wait for core team

I've tried that patch now plus an autoreconf step
so ./configure doesn't segfault at that place anymore.

I consider this bug as low-risk and not worth to fix on
our side. Thank you for your time. :-)

Regards,
--
Clemens Koller
_______________________________
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Str. 45/1
81379 Muenchen
Germany

http://www.anagramm-technology.com
Phone: +49-89-741518-50
Fax: +49-89-741518-19
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org