Old 11-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański

Default Migration of LVM to new OS

HI,

I'm back

I got tired of Ubuntu server LTS 8.04 and the way it's handling WPA.
It seems to be impossible to configure WPA2 from command line. so of
course I decided to use CRUX. I installed it, resolve some issues and
now I need to migrate the LVM settings from Ubuntu.

I saved the whole /etc/ directory so I've got the info about my LVM
and of course I haven't played with partition tables and any other
disk configuration.

There is the different in the name convention (sdX in Ubuntu and hdX
in CRUX). Is there anything I should be aware before starting
migration?

Wawrzek

BTW. I successfully built ndiswrapper 1.55 with standard CRUX 2.6
kernel without any patches.

--
Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański vel Wawrzek Larry or LarryN
Linux User #177124 E-MAIL: wawrzek@gmail.com

Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Markus Messmer

Hi,
On 16:03 Mon 02 Nov , Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> HI,
>
> I'm back

welcome back then :-)

> I got tired of Ubuntu server LTS 8.04 and the way it's handling WPA.
> It seems to be impossible to configure WPA2 from command line. so of
> course I decided to use CRUX. I installed it, resolve some issues and
> now I need to migrate the LVM settings from Ubuntu.
>
> I saved the whole /etc/ directory so I've got the info about my LVM
> and of course I haven't played with partition tables and any other
> disk configuration.
>
> There is the different in the name convention (sdX in Ubuntu and hdX
> in CRUX). Is there anything I should be aware before starting
> migration?

This depends on how you configure your kernel. When using
< > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support you will end up with hdX
the new libata drivers will put sdX in your /dev tree, it's recommended
to use this
<*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers

Regards,
Markus

Old 11-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański

2009/11/2 Markus Messmer <markus.messmer@googlemail.com>:

Hi,

>> There is the different in the name convention (sdX in Ubuntu and hdX
>> in CRUX). Is there anything I should be aware before starting
>> migration?
>
> This depends on how you configure your kernel. When using
> < > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support you will end up with hdX
> the new libata drivers will put sdX in your /dev tree, it's recommended
> to use this
> <*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers

Thanks for suggestion.
It makes perfect sense. First time I overlooked ATA/PATA/SATA options.
I didn't change them, so they were built as modules, and system
couldn't intilize root partition. The box is in garage and I'm not
living in California, so I don't reboot it too often and next time I
marked both option for any case

Wawrzek

Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Danny Rawlins

Hi

Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Markus Messmer <markus.messmer@googlemail.com>:
>
> Hi,
>

>>> There is the different in the name convention (sdX in Ubuntu and hdX
>>> in CRUX). Is there anything I should be aware before starting
>>> migration?
>>>
>> This depends on how you configure your kernel. When using
>> < > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support you will end up with hdX
>> the new libata drivers will put sdX in your /dev tree, it's recommended
>> to use this
>> <*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
>>

> Thanks for suggestion.
> It makes perfect sense. First time I overlooked ATA/PATA/SATA options.
> I didn't change them, so they were built as modules, and system
> couldn't intilize root partition. The box is in garage and I'm not
> living in California, so I don't reboot it too often and next time I
> marked both option for any case
>
> Wawrzek

In any case the filter = line in lvm.conf is the only thing you may need
to edit if your PV disks are hdX instead of sdX, but as suggested use
libata. LVM will scan any devices allowed in the filter for PV volumes.

Regards,
Danny Rawlins

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański

2009/11/2 Markus Messmer <markus.messmer@googlemail.com>:
Hi,
[...]
>> There is the different in the name convention (sdX in Ubuntu and hdX
>> in CRUX). Is there anything I should be aware before starting
>> migration?
[...]
> <*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers

I did as suggested, but it lead to small problem. I cannot boot the new kernel.

The lilo doesn't understand line "root=/dev/sdb1" when run from system
with the old kernel.

So i tried using uuid. It also didn't help.

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=CRUX
root=/dev/hdb1
append="root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/6274b1e0-f026-496c-af64-d0d19b39607a"
read-only
# append="quiet"

I thought about grub, but because of some reason (I guess BIOS
problem, as it takes ages to start the box) it didn't want to install
into the MBR.

Do you have any suggestion how move to the kernel with "SATA only support"?

Wawrzek

Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Danny Rawlins

Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Markus Messmer <markus.messmer@googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
> [...]
>
>>> There is the different in the name convention (sdX in Ubuntu and hdX
>>> in CRUX). Is there anything I should be aware before starting
>>> migration?
>>>
> [...]
>
>> <*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
>>

> I did as suggested, but it lead to small problem. I cannot boot the new kernel.
>
> The lilo doesn't understand line "root=/dev/sdb1" when run from system
> with the old kernel.
>
> So i tried using uuid. It also didn't help.
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> label=CRUX
> root=/dev/hdb1
> append="root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/6274b1e0-f026-496c-af64-d0d19b39607a"
> read-only
> # append="quiet"
>
> I thought about grub, but because of some reason (I guess BIOS
> problem, as it takes ages to start the box) it didn't want to install
> into the MBR.
>
> Do you have any suggestion how move to the kernel with "SATA only support"?
>
> Wawrzek

You will want to use in lilo.conf

lba32
install=text
boot=/dev/sdb
append="quiet"

default=crux

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=crux
root=/dev/sdb1
read-only

Then to install the boot loader while your in old system:

lilo -M /dev/sdb

As after rebooting to to use new libata the node will be sdb instead of hdb, else you'll have a hard time trying to get it to find hdb when it's listed as sdb.

Regards,
Danny Rawlins

Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Markus Messmer

On 23:03 Wed 04 Nov , Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Markus Messmer <markus.messmer@googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
> [...]
> >> There is the different in the name convention (sdX in Ubuntu and hdX
> >> in CRUX). Is there anything I should be aware before starting
> >> migration?
> [...]
> > <*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
>
> I did as suggested, but it lead to small problem. I cannot boot the new kernel.
>
> The lilo doesn't understand line "root=/dev/sdb1" when run from system
> with the old kernel.
>
> Do you have any suggestion how move to the kernel with "SATA only support"?

boot the CRUX install CD with bootparameter libata, chroot into your
install and run lilo

Regards
Markus

Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański

2009/11/5 Danny Rawlins <d.rawlins@datafast.net.au>:

Hi,
[...]
> Then to install the boot loader while your in old system:
>
> lilo -M /dev/sdb

I think it won't work, as the /dev/sdb is not present in 'old system'.

> As after rebooting to to use new libata the node will be sdb instead of hdb, else you'll have a hard time trying to get it to find hdb when it's listed as sdb.

You right
But the problem is that it work in both direction. I've already tried
in the to add "root=/dev/sdb1" in 'old system' and lilo complained
that /dev/sdb1 didn't exist. Of course I could create a symlink or
change some udev rules, but the boot time of the machine does not
encourage to much 'blind tests'.

I'll try chrooting with parameter from CD as suggested in other post.

Wawrzek

Old 11-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański

Hi,