Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Wawrzyniec =?unknown-8bit?q?Niewodnicza=F1ski?=

Default Slim, X and problems

Hi,

For long time I've been using Slim, but it started to make more and more
problematic. It doesn't start during system start . Therefore,
I'm looking for replacement something which doesn't need hundreds dependents.
Could you suggest something please?

I've also noted other nasty Crux behaviour recently. Slim does not start
therefore, I have to start X from commandline. When I want to logout the
system doesn't come back to text console, but screen stays black.
Moreover, Ctrl+Alt+X X={1..6} doesn't work. Do you have any idea why? I
need to stop the whole computer. I'm not sure if I ssh to the machine.

Wawrzek
--
Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański vel Wawrzek, Larry or LarryN
Linux User #177124 E-MAIL: wawrzek@gmail.com

Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Fredrik Rinnestam

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:44:21PM +0000, Wawrzyniec Niewodniczaïżœski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For long time I've been using Slim, but it started to make more and more
> problematic. It doesn't start during system start . Therefore,
> I'm looking for replacement something which doesn't need hundreds dependents.
> Could you suggest something please?
>
> I've also noted other nasty Crux behaviour recently. Slim does not start
> therefore, I have to start X from commandline. When I want to logout the
> system doesn't come back to text console, but screen stays black.
> Moreover, Ctrl+Alt+X X={1..6} doesn't work. Do you have any idea why? I
> need to stop the whole computer. I'm not sure if I ssh to the machine.
>
> Wawrzek

Without any logs or debug info its hard to suggest whats wrong. But it
sounds to me like you might have some gfx-driver issues (black screen
when quitting X).

Other than that, i cant help you since my crystal ball is broken.

--

/Fredrik Rinnestam

Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Mauricio Faria de Oliveira

> For long time I've been using Slim, but it started to make more and more
> problematic. It doesn't start during system start .
Try adding commands to remove Slim lock files at /etc/rc.d/slim.
Depending on the way X exits, these files aren't removed/cleaned.
That worked for me. :-)

> I've also noted other nasty Crux behaviour recently. Slim does not start
> therefore, I have to start X from commandline. When I want to logout the
> system doesn't come back to text console, but screen stays black.
Does that occur when you don't start Slim (and it fails) also?

Best regards,
Maurício

Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Alan

Quoting Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański <wawrzek@gmail.com>:

I'm looking for replacement something which doesn't need hundreds dependents.
Could you suggest something please?

I've also noted other nasty Crux behaviour recently. Slim does not start
therefore, I have to start X from commandline. When I want to logout the
system doesn't come back to text console, but screen stays black.
Moreover, Ctrl+Alt+X X=3D{1..6} doesn't work. Do you have any idea why? I
need to stop the whole computer. I'm not sure if I ssh to the machine.

xdm doesn't require anything besides standard xorg packages, but I
guess if you

are coming from Slim you won't be impressed.
I would recommend that if you already have KDE/Gnome installed, use kdm/gdm.

The ctrl+alt+x issue might be related to your video card driver. Are
you using

an Intel video card? If so, an update in the kernel or in the
xorg-xf86-video-intel package could have triggered this behavior. Just try to
downgrade to a previous version.

Of course you can ssh to the machine, you can even log into the virtual
console.

You won't be able to see what you are typing, but you can reboot/poweroff the
machine.

--
Alan

Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Wawrzyniec NiewodniczaƄski

2009/3/3 Mauricio Faria de Oliveira <mauricio.foliveira@gmail.com>:
>> For long time I've been using Slim, but it started to make more and more
>> problematic. It doesn't start during system start .
> Try adding commands to remove Slim lock files at /etc/rc.d/slim.
> Depending on the way X exits, these files aren't removed/cleaned.
> That worked for me. :-)

This was a hit!. Thanks I modified my /etc/rc.d/slim and I'm thinking
to make a more general patch.

Wawrzek

--
Wawrzyniec NiewodniczaƄski vel Wawrzek Larry or LarryN

Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Mauricio Faria de Oliveira

2009/3/4 Wawrzyniec NiewodniczaƄski <wawrzek@gmail.com>:
> This was a hit!. Thanks I modified my /etc/rc.d/slim and I'm thinking
> to make a more general patch.
You're welcome.

If it keeps working please try to send the patch to mainline. :-)
More people may have this issue too.

Regards,
MaurĂ*cio