Old 02-20-2009, 03:57 PM
James Mills

Default Locale warnings

Hi all,

For some reason, on one of my VPSs
I keep getting this warning:

http://codepad.org/KP8gnYr9

This VPS is CRUX-2.5 (64bit) running
on SliceHost.

Did I forget to generate my system locales ?

cheers
James

--
-- "Problems are solved by method"

Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Andrew Brouwers

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:57 AM, James Mills
<prologic@shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For some reason, on one of my VPSs
> I keep getting this warning:
>
> http://codepad.org/KP8gnYr9
>
> This VPS is CRUX-2.5 (64bit) running
> on SliceHost.
>
> Did I forget to generate my system locales ?

My crystal ball is broken today

http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-5#ntoc54

Regards,
Andrew

Old 02-20-2009, 05:58 PM
James Mills

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Andrew Brouwers <abrouwers@gmail.com> wrote:
> My crystal ball is broken today
>
> http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-5#ntoc54

Sorry Andrew Like I was saying... Despite
having done this I still get those warnings.
I remember having this problem once before
but I can't for the life of me remember how to
fix it :/

locale gives me this:

http://codepad.org/CSwyTCEA

cheers
James

Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Johannes Winkelmann

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 04:58:35 +1000, James Mills wrote:
[...]
> locale gives me this:
>
> http://codepad.org/CSwyTCEA

What's the output of `locale -a`?

Regards, Johannes
--
Johannes Winkelmann mailto:jw@smts.ch
Zurich, Switzerland http://jw.smts.ch

Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
James Mills

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Johannes Winkelmann <jw@smts.ch> wrote:
> What's the output of `locale -a`?

Yeah I solved it. Interestingly enough a lot of software
must assume en_US as the default language/locale ?
I accidentally blindly copied/pasted the 3 lines from the
FAQ and created for my system a set of Spanish
locales! :/ Most software on the system didn't like that
very much and kept complaining that it couldn't find
the default locale or a suitable language or whatever!

God bless America

Thanks for the help!

cheers
James

Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Johannes Winkelmann

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:10:38 +1000, James Mills wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Johannes Winkelmann <jw@smts.ch> wrote:
> > What's the output of `locale -a`?
>
> Yeah I solved it. Interestingly enough a lot of software
> must assume en_US as the default language/locale ?
Well, not sure about that as you don't mentioned the applications, but
judging from the output from 'locale' and 'ports' you posted before, it
appears that you have set LC_ALL to "en_US.ISO-8859-1":
http://codepad.org/CSwyTCEA
http://codepad.org/KP8gnYr9

If it's not set, LC_ALL will be empty, and the rest will default to
"POSIX":

$ env|grep ^LC_ # making sure that there's no LC_* variable set
$ locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

And running ports -u will be just fine:

# ports -u opt
Updating file list from crux.nu:orts/crux-2.5/opt/
Updating collection opt
Finished successfully

So maybe double check your environment, in case 'en_US' is not what you
want.

HTH, Johannes