Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 AM
quazar outspacedye

Default Custom CRUX based distro

Hi guys. I've compiled my own distro based on CRUX. It has some limitations but i did it for myself so it is. Is there someone who could test it for bugs and maybe usability? If yes, then i could place it somewhere on web server.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Jose V Beneyto

Hi,

quazar outspace dye wrote:

Hi guys. I've compiled my own distro based on CRUX. It has some limitations but i did it for myself so it is. Is there someone who could test it for bugs and maybe usability? If yes, then i could place it somewhere on web server.

IMHO to obtain an answer first you need to enumerate the list of
features that your custom build has. I only read that it has some
limitations and that doesn't sounds good.

Best regards,
Jose V Beneyto

Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Jose V Beneyto

Heyo,

Hi,

quazar outspace dye wrote:

Hi guys. I've compiled my own distro based on CRUX. It has some limitations but i did it for myself so it is. Is there someone who could test it for bugs and maybe usability? If yes, then i could place it somewhere on web server.
IMHO to obtain an answer first you need to enumerate the list of
features that your custom build has. I only read that it has some
limitations and that doesn't sounds good.

outspace dye quazar wrote:
Hello. Limitations is that i've built it only for Europe/Moscow timezone and only 3 locales by default. Also there is short down terminfo base. System is rewritten (installer, a little bit boot scripts)
And there is no xorg yet. But I'll include it in some time.
Ports are fully taken from CRUX. pkgutils too. You just can look at it and make your own view.
Well, but where are the advantages over CRUX? I think that would be fine
for people to know something more.

Regards, Jose

Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Jose V Beneyto

Hi,

outspace dye quazar wrote:

Advantages is that i tried to tune it for myslf. I left some packges that i don't need & added some more. I' add even more later. Services that i usually tune are tune. Boot process of live cd is simplified. You don't need to compile kernel right after the system installation. If you managed to install the system on hard drive then kernel is copied over there and you can use it for a while.

Personally, I just copy System.map and vmlinuz from the iso to my
installation, so I don't need to compile the kernel, but this is only a
way to do things.

After setup you don't need to chroot and edit files, it's done in setup itself now.
Well, most people have their own post-install-setup-script to do the
same. I have one too ;D

Also some cosmetic changes is made. I used to rewrate almost all the ports in core to throw away all the crap that i can live withot, but changed my mind later and only several packges in core ports are rewritten.
It seems that you only modified the setup process a bit, and that's far
from calling it "my own **distro** based on CRUX", but thanks for
explain me how it works.

Best regards,
Jose V Beneyto

[PD] please read about 'top-posting':