Old 01-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Fernan Bolando

Default Some problems with crux upgrade.

Hi all

I a few minor nuissance after upgrading my crux install and was hoping
anybody can provide a way to debug.

1. After upgrading my kernel, ACPI sleep no longers puts my computer
to sleep. the moon LED will just flicker and turns off completely. It
used to work with crux 2.3 kernel 2.6.22. Downgrading my kernel is not
an option anymore due to the sata driver change.

2. Bluetooth dongle used to work in crux-2.3. The bluez release has
also change so I am guessing it's somewhere in there is the problem

3. Brightness changes from 100% to dim when you switch from X to a
virtual terminal and back. I have been tracking a bug report in
kernel.org and I believe that a fix will be released in 2.6.29.

Computer type: Lenovo 3000 notebook
Video : intel i915

Please note that these are mostly just some stuff I noticed. I haven't
really had the inclination to do any deep debugging, except for a bit
googling in case some else has noticed this types of problems before.

thanks
fernan

--
http://www.fernski.com

Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Johannes Winkelmann

Hi Fernan,

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:52:23 +0800, Fernan Bolando wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I a few minor nuissance after upgrading my crux install and was hoping
> anybody can provide a way to debug.
[...]
> 1. After upgrading my kernel, ACPI sleep no longers puts my computer
> to sleep. the moon LED will just flicker and turns off completely.
How do you initiate the sleep mode? Via "Fn" keys, or using
echo mem > /sys/power/state
I use the echo command on my lenovo made thinkpad, and it works just
fine on CRUX 2.5

> It used to work with crux 2.3 kernel 2.6.22.
Well, keep in mind that CRUX doesn't provide you with kernels, so
chances are you'd have the same problem with 2.3 when using a current
kernel. Don't forget that 2.6.22 was released over 1.5 years ago [1]! So
there were literally thousands of chances that might affect this
subsystem.

> 2. Bluetooth dongle used to work in crux-2.3. The bluez release has
> also change so I am guessing it's somewhere in there is the problem
Well, you don't even state here that it doesn't work anymore, just that
it did on CRUX 2.3... we can probably guess that it doesn't, but your
chances to find someone to help you are a lot better if you provide a
clear report what the problem is (what do you want to do, what did you
expect, what happened instead?).

Questions here are:
- do you have an appropriate hciX device in the hciconfig listing?
-> if no, it's probably a kernel (configuration) problem, for example
missing modules (IIRC the lenovo laptops mostly use the HCI USB
driver)
-> if yes, you'll most likely get some errors messages when you try to
do what worked on 2.3... these error messages would be
very helpful to diagnose the problem. Also check the kernel
messages

Regards, Johannes

--
Johannes Winkelmann mailto:jw@smts.ch
Zurich, Switzerland http://jw.smts.ch

Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Andrew Brouwers

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Johannes Winkelmann <jw@smts.ch> wrote:
> Hi Fernan,
>

>> 1. After upgrading my kernel, ACPI sleep no longers puts my computer
>> to sleep. the moon LED will just flicker and turns off completely.
> How do you initiate the sleep mode? Via "Fn" keys, or using
> echo mem > /sys/power/state
> I use the echo command on my lenovo made thinkpad, and it works just
> fine on CRUX 2.5

On my thinkpad, I had some acpi issues in 2.6.25, up to 2.6.28. I
used a tool called pm-utils to help the laptop sleep:

http://crux.nu/Wiki/Pm-utils

Maybe this is worth trying out on your thinkpad.