FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CRUX > CRUX

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Antti Nykänen
 
Default inetutils & ipv6

Hi

Tom Rindborg wrote:

The solution for me was to configure with --disable-ipv6.


You could use tcp4/udp4 as the protocol in inetd.conf instead of tcp/udp
to make it bind to IPv4 addresses. Seems like inetd used to rely on IPv4
mapped addresses, and someone read the paper on their security concerns,
but didn't quite get the fix right.


In general, -1 from me to --disable-ipv6 anywwhere.

- Antti
_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Tom Rindborg
 
Default inetutils & ipv6

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Antti Nykänen wrote:

> You could use tcp4/udp4 as the protocol in inetd.conf instead of tcp/udp
> to make it bind to IPv4 addresses.

Thanks, I was looking for a "simpler" solution like this one without
finding anything, that's why I went the --disable-ipv6 way. Delving a
little deeper I realize that this info can actually be found in the .info
file in the source archive, oh well...

I have actually switched to this solution and it works :-)

> Seems like inetd used to rely on IPv4 mapped addresses, and someone read
> the paper on their security concerns, but didn't quite get the fix
> right.

Yes, I agree. Looking at the .info file again it states:

"If IPv6 support is enabled the sockets will accept both IPv4 and
IPv6 connections if that is supported by the OS."

which obviously is not true, I should probably file a bug report upstream.

> In general, -1 from me to --disable-ipv6 anywwhere.

Fair enough.
--
Hälsningar/Best regards, Tom
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Tom Rindborg Phone: +46-8-599 984 40
Stockholm, Sweden MailTo:Tom.Rindborg@fatburen.org
"If you have to hate, hate gently."__________________________________________ _____
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 
Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Juergen Daubert
 
Default inetutils & ipv6

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 01:38:57PM +0100, Tom Rindborg wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Antti Nykänen wrote:
>
> > You could use tcp4/udp4 as the protocol in inetd.conf instead of tcp/udp
> > to make it bind to IPv4 addresses.
>
> Thanks, I was looking for a "simpler" solution like this one without
> finding anything, that's why I went the --disable-ipv6 way. Delving a
> little deeper I realize that this info can actually be found in the .info
> file in the source archive, oh well...
>
> I have actually switched to this solution and it works :-)
>
> > Seems like inetd used to rely on IPv4 mapped addresses, and someone read
> > the paper on their security concerns, but didn't quite get the fix
> > right.
>
> Yes, I agree. Looking at the .info file again it states:
>
> "If IPv6 support is enabled the sockets will accept both IPv4 and
> IPv6 connections if that is supported by the OS."
>
> which obviously is not true, I should probably file a bug report upstream.

Seems that the issue already has been reported:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.inetutils.bugs/2111

Greetings
Juergen

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li
Korb, Germany | http://jue.li/crux

_______________________________________________
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu
http://lists.crux.nu/mailman/listinfo/crux
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org