-   -   inetutils & ipv6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/crux/231132-inetutils-ipv6.html)

Antti Nykänen 01-20-2009 03:33 PM

inetutils & ipv6

Hi

Tom Rindborg wrote:

The solution for me was to configure with --disable-ipv6.

You could use tcp4/udp4 as the protocol in inetd.conf instead of tcp/udp
to make it bind to IPv4 addresses. Seems like inetd used to rely on IPv4
mapped addresses, and someone read the paper on their security concerns,
but didn't quite get the fix right.

In general, -1 from me to --disable-ipv6 anywwhere.

- Antti

Tom Rindborg 01-21-2009 11:38 AM

inetutils & ipv6

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Antti Nykänen wrote:

> You could use tcp4/udp4 as the protocol in inetd.conf instead of tcp/udp
> to make it bind to IPv4 addresses.

Thanks, I was looking for a "simpler" solution like this one without
finding anything, that's why I went the --disable-ipv6 way. Delving a
little deeper I realize that this info can actually be found in the .info
file in the source archive, oh well...

I have actually switched to this solution and it works :-)

> Seems like inetd used to rely on IPv4 mapped addresses, and someone read
> the paper on their security concerns, but didn't quite get the fix
> right.

Yes, I agree. Looking at the .info file again it states:

"If IPv6 support is enabled the sockets will accept both IPv4 and
IPv6 connections if that is supported by the OS."

which obviously is not true, I should probably file a bug report upstream.

> In general, -1 from me to --disable-ipv6 anywwhere.

Fair enough.
--
Hälsningar/Best regards, Tom

Juergen Daubert 01-21-2009 08:42 PM

inetutils & ipv6

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 01:38:57PM +0100, Tom Rindborg wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Antti Nykänen wrote:
>
> > You could use tcp4/udp4 as the protocol in inetd.conf instead of tcp/udp
> > to make it bind to IPv4 addresses.
>
> Thanks, I was looking for a "simpler" solution like this one without
> finding anything, that's why I went the --disable-ipv6 way. Delving a
> little deeper I realize that this info can actually be found in the .info
> file in the source archive, oh well...
>
> I have actually switched to this solution and it works :-)
>
> > Seems like inetd used to rely on IPv4 mapped addresses, and someone read
> > the paper on their security concerns, but didn't quite get the fix
> > right.
>
> Yes, I agree. Looking at the .info file again it states:
>
> "If IPv6 support is enabled the sockets will accept both IPv4 and
> IPv6 connections if that is supported by the OS."
>
> which obviously is not true, I should probably file a bug report upstream.

Seems that the issue already has been reported:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.inetutils.bugs/2111

Greetings
Juergen

--