Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Hannes Mayer

Default CRUX 2.5 fails to boot on vbox

Am Mittwoch 07 Januar 2009 05:52:20 schrieb Ruben Reyes:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to get CRUX 2.5 installed in Virtualbox 2.1.0 on a Windows XP
> host. The system boots from the ISO, but hangs at "* Loading Modules...
> IDE", and I get a generic "VirtualBox has encountered an error and needs to
> close" message. This happens on two different machines... A centrino
> laptop and an AMD64x2 desktop. Other OSes such as OpenSolaris, OpenBSD,
> and Fedora boot just fine. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

I ve the same Problem with CRUX 2.5 and VirtualBox 2.1.0 and older Releases,
so i think it's not a Problem of VirtualBox.
I was able to boot the setup with "noide" bootoption. Maybe there are broken
IDE drivers ...

regards
Hannes

Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 AM
"Thiago Coutinho"

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Hannes Mayer <kontakt@ecarux.de> wrote:
> I was able to boot the setup with "noide" bootoption. Maybe there are broken
> IDE drivers ...

Boot option "libata" works too.

--
Thiago Coutinho - http://thiago.bunghole.com.br/

echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq' | dc

Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Predrag Ivanovic

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 22:52:20 -0600
Ruben Reyes wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to get CRUX 2.5 installed in Virtualbox 2.1.0 on a Windows XP
> host. The system boots from the ISO, but hangs at "* Loading Modules...
> IDE", and I get a generic "VirtualBox has encountered an error and needs to
> close" message. This happens on two different machines... A centrino laptop
> and an AMD64x2 desktop. Other OSes such as OpenSolaris, OpenBSD, and Fedora
> boot just fine. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Crux-2.5 iso boots just fine with VMware Workstation-6.5.1, both
using ISO as image file, and burned on a CD.

Pedja
--
popper unable to process jumbo kernel

Old 01-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Thomas Penteker

* Predrag Ivanovic (predivan@nadlanu.com) wrote:
> (...)
> Crux-2.5 iso boots just fine with VMware Workstation-6.5.1, both
> using ISO as image file, and burned on a CD.

Does your VM use a SCSI or IDE controller?

kind regards, Thomas Penteker
--
bar!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Predrag Ivanovic

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:52:57 +0100
Thomas Penteker wrote:

> * Predrag Ivanovic (predivan@nadlanu.com) wrote:
> > (...)
> > Crux-2.5 iso boots just fine with VMware Workstation-6.5.1, both
> > using ISO as image file, and burned on a CD.
>
> Does your VM use a SCSI or IDE controller?

I'm using VM with IDE controler at the moment, and I made one with SCSI controler.
Both work without problems.

I found this at VirtualBox bug tracker (http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2811)

"CRUX 2.5 CD-ROM fails to boot

When booting the CRUX 2.5 ISO, it stops at "Loading modules... IDE" and VirtualBox crashes. The bug occurs on Windows and Linux hosts for me.
When booting the CD-ROM with "CRUX noide" it boots successfully.
As a side node, the CRUX 2.5 ISO works fine with QEMU and also on real hardware.
"
HTH

Pedja
--
Was it worth it? Yes. Would I do it again? No.
-- Ken Thompson

Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 AM
"Ruben Reyes"

Thanks, everyone for the replies. I just had time to work with this some
more, and got it installed using the libata boot option. It took a while to
get the kernel config right so it will detect my drive as /dev/sda (instead
of /dev/hda as normal) after reboot, but it works =)

I have another problem though, with xorg locking up my machine soon as it
starts (either with just the xterm windows or starting fluxbox) and it
happens both in the vbox as well as on a real machine. I'll start a new
thread on this subject if I can't figure it out.

Thanks again!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Jose V Beneyto

Hi Ruben,

Ruben Reyes wrote:

I have another problem though, with xorg locking up my machine soon as it
starts (either with just the xterm windows or starting fluxbox) and it
happens both in the vbox as well as on a real machine.

Maybe you need to set 'AllowEmptyInput' to false in your xorg.conf. Please,
read this: http://lists.crux.nu/pipermail/crux/2008-November/008688.html

Best regards,
Jose V Beneyto

Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Ross Cameron

Can you post you're kernel .config to the list (or me) ?
Preferably as an attachment if you can.

Many thanks

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Ruben Reyes <crux@atomfire.net> wrote:
> Thanks, everyone for the replies. I just had time to work with this some
> more, and got it installed using the libata boot option. It took a while to
> get the kernel config right so it will detect my drive as /dev/sda (instead
> of /dev/hda as normal) after reboot, but it works =)
>
> I have another problem though, with xorg locking up my machine soon as it
> starts (either with just the xterm windows or starting fluxbox) and it
> happens both in the vbox as well as on a real machine. I'll start a new
> thread on this subject if I can't figure it out.
>
> Thanks again!

"Opportunity is most often missed by people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work."
Thomas Alva Edison
Inventor of 1093 patents, including:
The light bulb, phonogram and motion pictures.