Old 12-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Tilman Sauerbeck

Default CRUX 2.4 released

Hi,
we're happy to announce that CRUX 2.4 has been released.

For your documentation pleasure, please see
o the release notes at http://crux.nu/Main/ReleaseNotes2-4
o the handbook at http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-4
o and the ChangeLog at
http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=ChangeLog;h=bcac6e4b0a902d0 94d36cb2ef61084c9bb66232d

The ISO itself is available by BitTorrent
(http://crux.nu/files/crux-2.4.torrent) and will also be available by
ftp/http on our mirror servers soon. See http://crux.nu/Main/Download.

Enjoy!

Tilman, for the CRUX team.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Brett Goulder

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:56:18 +0100
Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:

> Hi,
> we're happy to announce that CRUX 2.4 has been released.
>
> For your documentation pleasure, please see
> o the release notes at http://crux.nu/Main/ReleaseNotes2-4
> o the handbook at http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-4
> o and the ChangeLog at
> http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=ChangeLog;h=bcac6e4b0a902d0 94d36cb2ef61084c9bb66232d
>
> The ISO itself is available by BitTorrent
> (http://crux.nu/files/crux-2.4.torrent) and will also be available by
> ftp/http on our mirror servers soon. See http://crux.nu/Main/Download.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Tilman, for the CRUX team.

I noticed that the handbook makes no mention of the SYSLOG variable in
rc.conf and that the release notes didn't mention that people should
add that to their rc.conf, which means that if people update and don't
add the SYSLOG variable, they'll have no logging. Perhaps you should
put a quick mention of it in the release notes?

--
~predatorfreak
GnuPG Public key: http://pred.dcaf-security.org/dcafsec-pub-gpgkey.asc

Old 12-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Tilman Sauerbeck

Brett Goulder [2007-12-23 11:49]:

Hi Brett,

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:56:18 +0100
> Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > we're happy to announce that CRUX 2.4 has been released.
> >
> > For your documentation pleasure, please see
> > o the release notes at http://crux.nu/Main/ReleaseNotes2-4
> > o the handbook at http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-4
> > o and the ChangeLog at
> > http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=ChangeLog;h=bcac6e4b0a902d0 94d36cb2ef61084c9bb66232d
> >
> > The ISO itself is available by BitTorrent
> > (http://crux.nu/files/crux-2.4.torrent) and will also be available by
> > ftp/http on our mirror servers soon. See http://crux.nu/Main/Download.
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > Tilman, for the CRUX team.
> >

> I noticed that the handbook makes no mention of the SYSLOG variable in
> rc.conf and that the release notes didn't mention that people should
> add that to their rc.conf, which means that if people update and don't
> add the SYSLOG variable, they'll have no logging. Perhaps you should
> put a quick mention of it in the release notes?

Thanks for the pointer. Do you feel like contributing the paragraph to
the handbook?

I'm not sure whether we need an extra warning for upgrading users.
rejmerge should take care of the diff in /etc/rc.conf, and we strongly
recommend running rejmerge after an upgrade.

Regards,
Tilman

> > > we're happy to announce that CRUX 2.4 has been released.
> > >
> > > For your documentation pleasure, please see
> > > o the release notes at http://crux.nu/Main/ReleaseNotes2-4
> > > o the handbook at http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-4
> > > o and the ChangeLog at
> > > http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=ChangeLog;h=bcac6e4b0a902d0 94d36cb2ef61084c9bb66232d
> > >
> > > The ISO itself is available by BitTorrent
> > > (http://crux.nu/files/crux-2.4.torrent) and will also be
> > > available by ftp/http on our mirror servers soon. See
> > > http://crux.nu/Main/Download.
> > >
> > > Enjoy!
> > >
> > > Tilman, for the CRUX team.
> > >

> > I noticed that the handbook makes no mention of the SYSLOG variable
> > in rc.conf and that the release notes didn't mention that people
> > should add that to their rc.conf, which means that if people update
> > and don't add the SYSLOG variable, they'll have no logging. Perhaps
> > you should put a quick mention of it in the release notes?
>
> Thanks for the pointer. Do you feel like contributing the paragraph to
> the handbook?
>
> I'm not sure whether we need an extra warning for upgrading users.
> rejmerge should take care of the diff in /etc/rc.conf, and we strongly
> recommend running rejmerge after an upgrade.
>
> Regards,
> Tilman

For the configuration variables section, I figure something like

SYSLOG Specifies the system logging daemon(s) to run at startup.
Example: SYSLOG=sysklogd

should do, I don't have the ability to edit the handbook though, so I
leave it to you or another person with that power to do. If there's
anywhere else that needs to be edited, point me to it and I'll write up
the bit for that too.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Tilman Sauerbeck

Brett Goulder [2007-12-23 13:12]:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:55:29 +0100
> Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:
>
> > Brett Goulder [2007-12-23 11:49]:
> >
> > Hi Brett,

> > > I noticed that the handbook makes no mention of the SYSLOG variable
> > > in rc.conf and that the release notes didn't mention that people
> > > should add that to their rc.conf, which means that if people update
> > > and don't add the SYSLOG variable, they'll have no logging. Perhaps
> > > you should put a quick mention of it in the release notes?
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer. Do you feel like contributing the paragraph to
> > the handbook?
> >
> > I'm not sure whether we need an extra warning for upgrading users.
> > rejmerge should take care of the diff in /etc/rc.conf, and we strongly
> > recommend running rejmerge after an upgrade.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tilman
> >

> For the configuration variables section, I figure something like
>
> SYSLOG Specifies the system logging daemon(s) to run at startup.
> Example: SYSLOG=sysklogd
>
> should do, I don't have the ability to edit the handbook though, so I
> leave it to you or another person with that power to do. If there's
> anywhere else that needs to be edited, point me to it and I'll write up
> the bit for that too.

That should do it. I updated the handbook with that, thanks

Regards,
Tilman

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 11:49:58AM -0500, Brett Goulder wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:56:18 +0100
> Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > we're happy to announce that CRUX 2.4 has been released.
> >
> > For your documentation pleasure, please see
> > o the release notes at http://crux.nu/Main/ReleaseNotes2-4
> > o the handbook at http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-4
> > o and the ChangeLog at
> > http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=ChangeLog;h=bcac6e4b0a902d0 94d36cb2ef61084c9bb66232d
> >
> > The ISO itself is available by BitTorrent
> > (http://crux.nu/files/crux-2.4.torrent) and will also be available by
> > ftp/http on our mirror servers soon. See http://crux.nu/Main/Download.
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > Tilman, for the CRUX team.
> >

> I noticed that the handbook makes no mention of the SYSLOG variable in
> rc.conf and that the release notes didn't mention that people should
> add that to their rc.conf, which means that if people update and don't
> add the SYSLOG variable, they'll have no logging. Perhaps you should
> put a quick mention of it in the release notes?

That should be done during update by setup-helper, so no user action is
required. See at the bottom of [1].

regards
Juergen

[1] http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=iso/bin/setup-helper;hb=2.4

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li
Korb, Germany | http://jue.li/crux

Old 12-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Brett Goulder

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:04:59 +0100
Juergen Daubert wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 11:49:58AM -0500, Brett Goulder wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:56:18 +0100
> > Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > we're happy to announce that CRUX 2.4 has been released.
> > >
> > > For your documentation pleasure, please see
> > > o the release notes at http://crux.nu/Main/ReleaseNotes2-4
> > > o the handbook at http://crux.nu/Main/Handbook2-4
> > > o and the ChangeLog at
> > > http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=ChangeLog;h=bcac6e4b0a902d0 94d36cb2ef61084c9bb66232d
> > >
> > > The ISO itself is available by BitTorrent
> > > (http://crux.nu/files/crux-2.4.torrent) and will also be
> > > available by ftp/http on our mirror servers soon. See
> > > http://crux.nu/Main/Download.
> > >
> > > Enjoy!
> > >
> > > Tilman, for the CRUX team.
> > >

> > I noticed that the handbook makes no mention of the SYSLOG variable
> > in rc.conf and that the release notes didn't mention that people
> > should add that to their rc.conf, which means that if people update
> > and don't add the SYSLOG variable, they'll have no logging. Perhaps
> > you should put a quick mention of it in the release notes?
>
> That should be done during update by setup-helper, so no user action
> is required. See at the bottom of [1].
>
> regards
> Juergen
>

> [1]
> http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=iso/bin/setup-helper;hb=2.4

Yes, but not everyone runs that, however, tilman pointed out that
rejmerge would find it, so assuming everyone runs rejmerge even after a
non-CD update, it's no longer an issue (beyond the update to the
handbook, which is already done).

Old 12-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Juergen Daubert

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 03:36:37PM -0500, Brett Goulder wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:04:59 +0100
> Juergen Daubert wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 11:49:58AM -0500, Brett Goulder wrote:

> > > I noticed that the handbook makes no mention of the SYSLOG variable
> > > in rc.conf and that the release notes didn't mention that people
> > > should add that to their rc.conf, which means that if people update
> > > and don't add the SYSLOG variable, they'll have no logging. Perhaps
> > > you should put a quick mention of it in the release notes?
> >
> > That should be done during update by setup-helper, so no user action
> > is required. See at the bottom of [1].
> >
> > regards
> > Juergen
> >

> > [1]
> > http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=iso/bin/setup-helper;hb=2.4
> >

> Yes, but not everyone runs that, however, tilman pointed out that
> rejmerge would find it, so assuming everyone runs rejmerge even after a
> non-CD update, it's no longer an issue (beyond the update to the
> handbook, which is already done).

Sorry, I was unclear here. Setup-helper is a script called by setup in
case the user select upgrade. The purpose is to handle stuff like package
renames/injections and other things.
For the 2.3 -> 2.4 update we added the action to insert the SYSLOG variable
in /etc/rc.conf, if not defined.
So, again, no user action is required after an upgrade to keep a working
sysklogd.

regards
Juergen

Old 12-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Brett Goulder

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:09:38 +0100
Juergen Daubert wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 03:36:37PM -0500, Brett Goulder wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:04:59 +0100
> > Juergen Daubert wrote:

> > > That should be done during update by setup-helper, so no user
> > > action is required. See at the bottom of [1].
> > >
> > > regards
> > > Juergen
> > >

> > > [1]
> > > http://crux.nu/gitweb/?p=system/iso.git;a=blob_plain;f=iso/bin/setup-helper;hb=2.4
> > >

> > Yes, but not everyone runs that, however, tilman pointed out that
> > rejmerge would find it, so assuming everyone runs rejmerge even
> > after a non-CD update, it's no longer an issue (beyond the update
> > to the handbook, which is already done).
>
> Sorry, I was unclear here. Setup-helper is a script called by setup
> in case the user select upgrade. The purpose is to handle stuff like
> package renames/injections and other things.
> For the 2.3 -> 2.4 update we added the action to insert the SYSLOG
> variable in /etc/rc.conf, if not defined.
> So, again, no user action is required after an upgrade to keep a
> working sysklogd.
>

> regards
> Juergen

Not everyone updates from the CD.