Old 12-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Gabriel Linder

Default vim - how to deisable backups of file after edit has finished

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:53:52 +0100 (CET)
"blokkie" <blokkie@h0m3.be> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I've noticed that vim is taking backups of files. I took a look at
> /usr/share/vim/vimrc to check why .
> How do I disable this ?
> Adapt /usr/share/vim/vimrc or create ~/.vimrc files for the users (and
> root) ?
>
> Thx !
>
> Blokie

Add this to your ~/.vimrc : set nobackup

Old 12-21-2007, 10:49 AM
pitillo

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:53:52 +0100 (CET)
"blokkie" <blokkie@h0m3.be> wrote:

> Hi ,

Hello,
> I've noticed that vim is taking backups of files. I took a look at
> /usr/share/vim/vimrc to check why .
> How do I disable this ?
> Adapt /usr/share/vim/vimrc or create ~/.vimrc files for the users (and
> root) ?

Don't take this in a bad way, but next time you post here, try to make
it under the thought of the list's use. This is a CRUX mailing list and
I think doubts wich aren't directly related to CRUX musn't be here.

Taking a look to vim's FAQ you can see that there is a point related to
backups.

> Thx !
>
> Blokie
Regards.

Learning bit by bit. - pitillo -

Old 12-21-2007, 11:25 AM
"blokkie"

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:53:52 +0100 (CET)
> "blokkie" <blokkie@h0m3.be> wrote:
>
>> Hi ,
>>
> Hello,
>> I've noticed that vim is taking backups of files. I took a look at
>> /usr/share/vim/vimrc to check why .
>> How do I disable this ?
>> Adapt /usr/share/vim/vimrc or create ~/.vimrc files for the users (and
>> root) ?
>>
> Don't take this in a bad way, but next time you post here, try to make
> it under the thought of the list's use. This is a CRUX mailing list and
> I think doubts wich aren't directly related to CRUX musn't be here.
>
> Taking a look to vim's FAQ you can see that there is a point related to
> backups.
>
>> Thx !
>>
>> Blokie
> Regards.
>
> Learning bit by bit. - pitillo -

Ok , point taken. I'll follow the spirit of this list and only post issues
who are crux specific and not wide unix issues.

Sorry for the disturbance

Blokkie

Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Matthias-Christian Ott

Gabriel Linder <linder@jeuxvideo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:53:52 +0100 (CET)
> "blokkie" <blokkie@h0m3.be> wrote:
>
> > Hi ,
> >
> > I've noticed that vim is taking backups of files. I took a look at
> > /usr/share/vim/vimrc to check why .
> > How do I disable this ?
> > Adapt /usr/share/vim/vimrc or create ~/.vimrc files for the users (and
> > root) ?
> >
> > Thx !
> >
> > Blokie
> >

> Add this to your ~/.vimrc : set nobackup

You could also add it to the global rc file (like many other distributions
do). Is there any particular reason for disabling it by default?

--
Matthias-Christian Ott