-   -   Strange problem mysqld_safe stopped working (http://www.linux-archive.org/crux/199172-strange-problem-mysqld_safe-stopped-working.html)

"Mats Pettersson" 11-24-2008 09:33 PM

Strange problem mysqld_safe stopped working

Hi!

I don't know if this is a CRUX problem or just me messing up my system
(probably the later :P) but here goes.

I have always started mysqld manually from a shell with mysqld_safe since i
installed CRUX without problems, but since a couple of weeks that doesn't
work any more. If i start manually/directly with /usr/sbin/mysqld i get
these errors:

081124 23:03:42 [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't create/write to file
'/var/run/mysqld.pid' (Errcode: 13)
081124 23:03:42 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file:
Permission denied

BUT, if i start with the startscript in /etc/rc.d/mysqld, it work's. I
figured out that it works because the startscript in /etc/rc.d creates the
PID file as root and then change owner to daemon for user and group before
it executes mysqld as the user daemon. This because (probably?) nobody but
root has write privileges to /var/run. But how on earth could mysqld_safe
have worked before? The only thing i've done before it stopped working, that
i can think of, is installing a couple of ports. Unfortunatly i forgot
exactly which ports i installed since i hadn't used mysql for a couple of
weeks when i discovered this problem.

Have some port changed the write privileges for group in /var/run? Should
group have write privileges to /var/run? I've seen other services PID files
in /var/run that has owner and group "daemon" so i still don't understand
why just mysqld_safe doesn't work anymore.

I know i can enable /etc/rc.d/mysqld in startup, but i just use mysql
sometimes for testing and don't want to waste resources when i don't need
it, and also this mysterious problem annoys me. :)

Mats

Victor Martinez 11-25-2008 01:23 PM

Strange problem mysqld_safe stopped working

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:33:59 +0100
"Mats Pettersson" <mog.pettersson@telia.com> wrote:

> Hi!

Hello Mats,

> [...]
>
> I know i can enable /etc/rc.d/mysqld in startup, but i just use mysql
> sometimes for testing and don't want to waste resources when i don't need
> it, and also this mysterious problem annoys me. :)

I am not sure if you tried or you know about this, but why don't you
use the rc.d script to start mysqld? (/etc/rc.d/mysqld start) You can
make an alias if you feel more confortable and there is no need to add
it to the rc.conf file. Sorry if this is an obvious answer and you
tried it.

> Mats

Regards, Victor.

--
Learning bit by bit. -pitillo-

"Mats Pettersson" 11-25-2008 05:05 PM

Strange problem mysqld_safe stopped working

I know i can enable /etc/rc.d/mysqld in startup, but i just use mysql
sometimes for testing and don't want to waste resources when i don't need
it, and also this mysterious problem annoys me. :)

I am not sure if you tried or you know about this, but why don't you
use the rc.d script to start mysqld? (/etc/rc.d/mysqld start) You can
make an alias if you feel more confortable and there is no need to add
it to the rc.conf file. Sorry if this is an obvious answer and you
tried it.

Yup! i tried it and it works fine. However mysqld_safe has other error
checking than /etc/rc.d/mysqld. But the strange thing is that somewhere
somehow some privilieges must have been changed since mysqld_safe don't have
access to /var/run as it must have had before (when it worked). Thats what
makes me suspicious to whats really have happened.

I have searched the net and found others that have reported the same
problem, but i have not seen any explanation, just suggestions that they
should alter privileges to /var/run or create a mysqld directory in /var/run
with the right privileges. I don't have any problem with other applications
that puts stuff in /var/run, so why suddenly just mysqld_safe?

Mats