Old 12-14-2007, 09:53 PM
"Johann Van der Smut"

Default Suggestion for new (set of) network init scripts in crux.

Hello everybody,

i'd like to suggest a new way of configuring your network in crux.
The reason I do that is, because there are virtually no net-configfiles
"per se" in crux by default (or out-of-the-box, so to speak).

If an average user wants to configure his networking, he actually is
configuring a (quite very important) init script of the system.
IMHO, I just dont like the thought of touching a initscript.
I think initscripts should be treated write-once (or fire-and-forget.).

Well, I broke it down a little bit on my system and now I want to hear the
opinions of the crux-users/devs. Where is the room for improvements?

First of, here's the new init scripts with a few self-explanatory config-files:
http://rapidshare.com/files/76614639/netinitscripts.tar.bz2.html

Everybody who can read bash/sh will understand them, since I tried to keep
them as simple as I could. Extract them somewhere with "tar xjpf ...".
(The "p" in the tar's options there is of special importance!)
*
You only need to put the new "net" script in your SERVICES@/etc/rc.conf, since all the
other (/new) scripts "net.dhcp", "net.lo" and "net.static" are started by the new "net" init script.
(However, you may aswell put SERVICES=(net.lo net.static net.dhcp foo bar...) instead...)

As I said, they are self-explanatory, so what you think?

Thanks & bye,
olaf_

Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Brett Goulder

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:53:02 +0100
Johann Van der Smut wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> i'd like to suggest a new way of configuring your network in crux.
> The reason I do that is, because there are virtually no
> net-configfiles "per se" in crux by default (or out-of-the-box, so to
> speak).
>
> If an average user wants to configure his networking, he actually is
> configuring a (quite very important) init script of the system.
> IMHO, I just dont like the thought of touching a initscript.
> I think initscripts should be treated write-once (or
> fire-and-forget.).
>
> Well, I broke it down a little bit on my system and now I want to hear
> the
> opinions of the crux-users/devs. Where is the room for improvements?
>
> First of, here's the new init scripts with a few self-explanatory
> config-files:
> http://rapidshare.com/files/76614639/netinitscripts.tar.bz2.html
>
> Everybody who can read bash/sh will understand them, since I tried to
> keep
> them as simple as I could. Extract them somewhere with "tar xjpf ...".
> (The "p" in the tar's options there is of special importance!)
>
> You only need to put the new "net" script in your
> SERVICES@/etc/rc.conf, since all the
> other (/new) scripts "net.dhcp", "net.lo" and "net.static" are
> started by the new "net" init script.
> (However, you may aswell put SERVICES=(net.lo net.static net.dhcp foo
> bar...) instead...)
>
> As I said, they are self-explanatory, so what you think?
>
> Thanks & bye,
> olaf_

A couple of suggestions: Merging the /etc/network files
into /etc/rc.conf as arrays, merging the net.* files into net as
functions doing certain tasks. That way you can put it all together in
only two files, much more self-contained. However, I'm not a CRUX
developer, so, these are just how I'd do this.

Personally, I prefer the minimalist simplicity of just modifying the
/etc/rc.d/net script, it centralises everything in one file.

--
~predatorfreak
GnuPG Public key: http://pred.dcaf-security.org/dcafsec-pub-gpgkey.asc

Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Matthias-Christian Ott

"Johann Van der Smut" <hollandhasser@rock.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> i'd like to suggest a new way of configuring your network in crux.
> The reason I do that is, because there are virtually no net-configfiles
> "per se" in crux by default (or out-of-the-box, so to speak).
>
> If an average user wants to configure his networking, he actually is
> configuring a (quite very important) init script of the system.
> IMHO, I just dont like the thought of touching a initscript.
> I think initscripts should be treated write-once (or fire-and-forget.).

I strongly disagree. I like the current approach.

> [...]
> First of, here's the new init scripts with a few self-explanatory
> config-files:
> http://rapidshare.com/files/76614639/netinitscripts.tar.bz2.html

Please attach the files instead of hiding it in an external source.

> [...]
> As I said, they are self-explanatory, so what you think?

It is not an improvement. You end up with a configuration system similar
to other distributions. I do not like these systems.

--
Matthias-Christian Ott

Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Thomas Penteker

* crux.nu website (http://crux.nu) wrote:
> CRUX is a lightweight, i686-optimized Linux distribution targeted at
> experienced Linux users.

kind regards, Thomas Penteker
--
The Internet is being scanned for viruses.