-   -   heterogeneous ports tree (http://www.linux-archive.org/crux/198398-heterogeneous-ports-tree.html)

Bartlomiej Palmowski 11-23-2008 05:10 PM

heterogeneous ports tree

Hi

Due to "deconcentration" (I'm not sure if this is proper word or even an
english word ;]) of ports collections in crux I thought about creating
set of tools for managing "heterogeneous port trees", allow me to
explain by showing you an example:

Lets say all port collections in your ports tree are
core/opt/xorg/contrib, now you want to install xarchiver which is not
available in any of these collections. Usually you would just httpup or
rsync xarchiver port build and install it, and then probably forgot
about that xarchiver is not maintained in ports tree. So you end up with
"orphaned" port being installed on your system, its not going to be
updated nor tracked by ports. You can create local collection and put
xarchiver port there but still its not going to be updated by ports.

Here is how you do it with hpct (heterogeneous ports collection tools ,
i know name is ugly but i couldnt think of better one)

you want to install xarchiver from lxde collection (which is not in your
ports tree)

# hpcm httpup sync http://maxiq.ovh.org/CRUX/lxde#xarchiver xarchiver
adds xarchiver to /usr/ports/hpc collection
now you can install xarchiver w/ prt-get if you have prtdir
/usr/ports/hpc in prt-get.conf added.

# prt-get depinst xarchiver
you can update it via ports as well
# ports -u hpc
updates all ports added by hpcm
so it works as usual httpup or rsync collection except this one consists
of ports from different collections, so you can create and manage your
custom collection that consists of ports maintained by others.

hpct consists of 3 files:
hpcd - driver for heterogeneous ports collection
hpcm - heterogeneous ports collection manager
hpc.hpcd - config file for hpcd and hpcm

for now hpct is in concept phase, for testing only
I'm interested what do you think about this idea.

"orphaned" ports can be found by issuing command:
$ prt-get listinst -vv | grep -P '^w+s.*?-[[:graph:]]$'
direct link to hpct:
http://maxiq.ovh.org/CRUX/hpct-concept.tar.gz

regards
Bartek

Lucas Hazel 11-24-2008 12:05 AM

heterogeneous ports tree

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:10:52 +0100
Bartlomiej Palmowski <wszystkie.fajne.loginy.zajete@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Due to "deconcentration" (I'm not sure if this is proper word or even
> an english word ;]) of ports collections in crux I thought about
> creating set of tools for managing "heterogeneous port trees", allow
> me to explain by showing you an example:
>
> Lets say all port collections in your ports tree are
> core/opt/xorg/contrib, now you want to install xarchiver which is not
> available in any of these collections. Usually you would just httpup
> or rsync xarchiver port build and install it, and then probably
> forgot about that xarchiver is not maintained in ports tree. So you
> end up with "orphaned" port being installed on your system, its not
> going to be updated nor tracked by ports. You can create local
> collection and put xarchiver port there but still its not going to be
> updated by ports.
>
> Here is how you do it with hpct (heterogeneous ports collection
> tools , i know name is ugly but i couldnt think of better one)
>
> you want to install xarchiver from lxde collection (which is not in
> your ports tree)
> # hpcm httpup sync http://maxiq.ovh.org/CRUX/lxde#xarchiver xarchiver
> adds xarchiver to /usr/ports/hpc collection
> now you can install xarchiver w/ prt-get if you have prtdir
> /usr/ports/hpc in prt-get.conf added.
> # prt-get depinst xarchiver
> you can update it via ports as well
> # ports -u hpc
> updates all ports added by hpcm
> so it works as usual httpup or rsync collection except this one
> consists of ports from different collections, so you can create and
> manage your custom collection that consists of ports maintained by
> others.
>
> hpct consists of 3 files:
> hpcd - driver for heterogeneous ports collection
> hpcm - heterogeneous ports collection manager
> hpc.hpcd - config file for hpcd and hpcm

I've been thinking of adding a driver like this to work with pdb (a
command line portdb tool).

It has a feature called pull which collects the
complete dependency chain of a port and stores them in a single
location. The problem is that there is no way to update them once they
have been pulled.

The advantage of using 'pdb pull' rather than the traditional 'download
sync file, sync the repo' method is that you only have one ports
directory and you only have the ports you use rather than having entire
repos pushed to you.

I might add the .meta file when ports are pulled so they will work with
your ports driver.

--
Lucas Hazel <lucas@die.net.au>

Jose V Beneyto 11-24-2008 06:29 AM

heterogeneous ports tree

Lucas Hazel wrote:

[...]

Hi,

I'm using a multiple-repository driver to have this
heterogeneous collection,

iirc we talked about the same sometime ago:

http://lists.crux.nu/pipermail/crux-devel/2008-October/003759.html

Best regards,

*** Jose V Beneyto

Juergen Daubert 11-24-2008 08:34 AM

heterogeneous ports tree

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 07:10:52PM +0100, Bartlomiej Palmowski wrote:
> Hi

Hello,

[...]

> "orphaned" ports can be found by issuing command:
> $ prt-get listinst -vv | grep -P '^w+s.*?-[[:graph:]]$'

Not all, the regexp doesn't catch e.g. '-' in port-names.
Using awk this can be written much simpler as

$ prt-get listinst -vv | awk 'NF<3'

but I'd suggest to use prtorphan from opt/prt-utils.

best regards
Juergen

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li