Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Thierry Moreau

Default Just completed CRUX 2.4 install - Great!

Dear all:

I just completed CRUX 2.4 installation on a Lenovo laptop T61 that I
bought with a pre-installed Suse distribution. Despite the painful
kernel configuration process (totally unrelated to CRUX), I very much
like the "keep it simple" that, as I see it, positions CRUX as simpler
than Gentoo, but much more convenient than "Linux from scratch".

I don't have much experience with Linux internals or installation, and
CRUX offered me a very interesting learning tactic by starting with the
fundamentals (which are lost in tons of details in full-fledged
distributions).

Many thanks to everyone contributing!

Just a small annoyance to report: when first installing a non-root user,
"man passwd" returned the man page for the openssl passwd sub-command,
so I was under the impression that the passwd utility was absent from
the core. I managed to do "usermod -p $(openssl passwd -1) john_doe" to
set up the password.

Is this worth a fix for next release?

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.