Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Hannes Mayer

Default problem with hal and hardware indetification

Hi.

I've a problem with hal and the indetification of my laptop model.
Its necessary to load a valid keymap for fn+ keys.

But hal / lshal is not able to find the informations.
I've tried an ubuntu live cd and it works fine but no luck with crux...

Example (on Ubuntu):
# lshal | grep system.product
smbios.system.product = 'Extensa 5220' (string)
system.product = 'Extensa 5220 0100' (string)
# lshal | grep system.vendor
system.vendor = 'Acer' (string)

But no output with crux.

Has anybody a good hint for me?

regards
Hannes

Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Predrag Ivanovic

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 01:24:00 +0100
Hannes Mayer wrote:

> Hi.
Hi, Hannes.

> I've a problem with hal and the indetification of my laptop model.
> Its necessary to load a valid keymap for fn+ keys.
>
> But hal / lshal is not able to find the informations.
> I've tried an ubuntu live cd and it works fine but no luck with crux...
>
> Example (on Ubuntu):
> # lshal | grep system.product
> smbios.system.product = 'Extensa 5220' (string)
> system.product = 'Extensa 5220 0100' (string)
> # lshal | grep system.vendor
> system.vendor = 'Acer' (string)
>
> But no output with crux.
>
> Has anybody a good hint for me?

According to [1], this will/should work with hal-0.5.10 (opt/hal is at 0.5.9 still), but it might work
with current in Crux.
Install hal-info[3][4] (hal-info is just a small hal package that provides the hardware data and quirks).
You might need to tweak 30-keymap-acer.fdi to work with this particular model, though.[2][5]

HTH

Pedja
[1]http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-keymap-index.html
[2]http://www.nabble.com/Extensa-5220-t4481027.html