Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Alex Sidorenko

Default Extension modules in C++

On August 13, 2012 11:02:22 AM David Mair wrote:

> On 08/01/2012 04:06 PM, Alex Sidorenko wrote:

> > On July 26, 2012 11:57:05 AM Petr Tesarik wrote:

> >> Hi all,

> >> as part of SUSE HackWeek8, David started work on a GUI extension using

> >> Qt4,

> >> which is a C++ project.

> > Hi all,

> > I have a working prototype (still in Alpha) of Python-Qt based GUI that

> > works>

> > remotely using the following approach:

> > - at server side, you load PyKdump and do 'epython server'

> > - at your local PC, you run 'python guimain.py'

> > Communication is done using TCP and exchanging records with headers

> > containing data length.

> > At this moment the project is in early stages (proof of concept) but

> > already usable. Because PyQT is portable, the same sources work both on

> > Linux and Windows clients.

> > I think that building GUI directly on top of crash is not the best

> > approach - it is easier to add a small extension to crash and then

> > communicate with it (if done locally, we could use shared memory or

> > AF_UNIX sockets).

> > A similar approach (driving GDB externally instead of linking with it) is

> > already used in several GUI debuggers, e.g. 'ddd'.

> Hi Alex,

> It's my Hack Week work that Petr was talking about, I'm interested in

> the idea of merging anything useful into your project or re-basing my

> thoughts on your interface, do you have a site or list I can contribute at?

*

Hi David,

*

the development of PyKdump is done using

*

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykdump/

*

but I did not push GUI yet as I played with several different approaches and was not sure the code is good for release yet (the server part is already in PyKdump git-repository, the 'devel' branch). At this moment the GUI client has some hard-wired pieces (links into HP-hosted server with unpacked kernel sources) so it needs a cleanup before you can use it.

*

I'll send you the sources later this week so you could try GUI and provide your comments. I find Python-Qt more suitable for rapid development than C++ (and it more portable). But this really does not matter at this moment - it is more important to understand what benefits (compared to plain command-line crash) GUI can provide.

*

Yes, it would be great if we could work on this together!

*

Regards,

Alex

*

*

Alexandre Sidorenko email: asid@hp.com

WTEC Linux Hewlett-Packard (Canada)

Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 PM
David Mair

Hi Dave,

On 08/08/2012 09:24 AM, Dave Anderson wrote:

> [...]

I noted the changes to defs.h in 6.0.9 that permitted me to include it
without macros to rename uses of namespace and typename. Thanks for
putting the time into it.

--
David Mair.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Dave Anderson

> >> To be honest, I really don't care about C++ compatibility -- with the realization
> >> that I'm already offending somebody. If Adrien's suggestion works, I suppose I'd
> >> prefer to keep things as they are. But if you really want to submit a patch,
> >> I'll entertain it as always...
> >>
> >> Dave
> >
> > Petr,
> >
> > On second thought, I'll just take of this in crash-6.0.9. It's not
> > that big a deal...
>
> I noted the changes to defs.h in 6.0.9 that permitted me to include it
> without macros to rename uses of namespace and typename. Thanks for
> putting the time into it.
>
> --
> David Mair.

No problem -- I meant to say "take _care_ of this" above...

And I apologize if you were among the offended by my initial response. ;-)

Dave