Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Dave Anderson

Default ARM w/40-bit physical address space and ARM64

Hi guys,

By any chance are you gents looking into updating the crash utility's
ARM support for its new 40-bit PAE capability, or the 64-bit ARM
architecture?

Dave

Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Mika Westerberg

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:36:11AM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:

> By any chance are you gents looking into updating the crash utility's
> ARM support for its new 40-bit PAE capability, or the 64-bit ARM
> architecture?

Sorry for the late response, I've been on vacation and unable to read my
email.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any newer ARM hardware that have larger
address space. If someone who has such hardware could provide a sample
vmlinux/vmcore files to me, I can do the implementation.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Dave Anderson

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:36:11AM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:
> >
> > By any chance are you gents looking into updating the crash
> > utility's
> > ARM support for its new 40-bit PAE capability, or the 64-bit ARM
> > architecture?
>
> Sorry for the late response, I've been on vacation and unable to read my
> email.

Lot of that going around lately... ;-)

> Unfortunately I don't have access to any newer ARM hardware that have larger
> address space. If someone who has such hardware could provide a sample
> vmlinux/vmcore files to me, I can do the implementation.

Hi Mika,

I don't of the existence of any vmcores. Do you know off-hand if kdump would
work, or whether it's currently possible that a 40-bit PAE kernel can kexec itself?
Typically in the past with new arches I have always got crash working on the
live system first.

But anyway, I appreciate the offer -- good to know...

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Mika Westerberg

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 09:00:46AM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:

> I don't of the existence of any vmcores. Do you know off-hand if kdump
> would work, or whether it's currently possible that a 40-bit PAE kernel can
> kexec itself?

IIRC the address space extension wasn't that complex change and I would expect
that the kexec works out of the box. It is different with 64-bit ARM which is
regarded as a completely different arch (last time I checked) in the Linux
kernel world.

> Typically in the past with new arches I have always got crash working on the
> live system first.

Good to know. I started the ARM port only when the kernel kexec/kdump support
was working and only added the live dump support in the last minute before we
submitted the ARM patches to you