Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Crash Utility (http://www.linux-archive.org/crash-utility/)
-   -   crash: Small bundle of fixes for Xen (http://www.linux-archive.org/crash-utility/680424-crash-small-bundle-fixes-xen.html)

Daniel Kiper 07-05-2012 02:58 PM

crash: Small bundle of fixes for Xen
 
Hi,

It looks that Xen support for crash have not been maintained
since 2009. I am trying to fix this. Here it is small
bundle of fixes:
- xen: Always calculate max_cpus value,
- xen: Read only crash notes for onlined CPUs,
- x86/xen: Read variables from dynamically allocated per_cpu data,
- xen: Get idle data from alternative source,
- xen: Read data correctly from dynamically allocated console ring too.

Daniel

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility

Dave Anderson 07-05-2012 03:15 PM

crash: Small bundle of fixes for Xen
 
----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> It looks that Xen support for crash have not been maintained
> since 2009. I am trying to fix this. Here it is small
> bundle of fixes:
> - xen: Always calculate max_cpus value,
> - xen: Read only crash notes for onlined CPUs,
> - x86/xen: Read variables from dynamically allocated per_cpu data,
> - xen: Get idle data from alternative source,
> - xen: Read data correctly from dynamically allocated console ring
> too.
>
> Daniel

Daniel,

Can you absolutely confirm that these changes are all backwards-compatible?

Thanks,
Dave

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility

Daniel Kiper 07-05-2012 03:29 PM

crash: Small bundle of fixes for Xen
 
On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 11:15:29AM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks that Xen support for crash have not been maintained
> > since 2009. I am trying to fix this. Here it is small
> > bundle of fixes:
> > - xen: Always calculate max_cpus value,
> > - xen: Read only crash notes for onlined CPUs,
> > - x86/xen: Read variables from dynamically allocated per_cpu data,
> > - xen: Get idle data from alternative source,
> > - xen: Read data correctly from dynamically allocated console ring
> > too.
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Daniel,
>
> Can you absolutely confirm that these changes are all backwards-compatible?

I have not done tests with older versions of Xen. However,
I made all patches with backward compatibility in mind. Anyway,
If you wish I could do tests with let's say Xen Ver. 3.4
and Xen Linux Kernel Ver. 2.6.18 at least.

Daniel

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility

Dave Anderson 07-05-2012 03:39 PM

crash: Small bundle of fixes for Xen
 
----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 11:15:29AM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It looks that Xen support for crash have not been maintained
> > > since 2009. I am trying to fix this. Here it is small
> > > bundle of fixes:
> > > - xen: Always calculate max_cpus value,
> > > - xen: Read only crash notes for onlined CPUs,
> > > - x86/xen: Read variables from dynamically allocated per_cpu
> > > data,
> > > - xen: Get idle data from alternative source,
> > > - xen: Read data correctly from dynamically allocated console
> > > ring
> > > too.
> > >
> > > Daniel
> >
> > Daniel,
> >
> > Can you absolutely confirm that these changes are all
> > backwards-compatible?
>
> I have not done tests with older versions of Xen. However,
> I made all patches with backward compatibility in mind. Anyway,
> If you wish I could do tests with let's say Xen Ver. 3.4
> and Xen Linux Kernel Ver. 2.6.18 at least.
>
> Daniel

That would be helpful -- I have very few Xen hypervisor sample dumpfiles,
and if I'm not mistaken, RHEL5 only went as far as Xen 3.1-something?

Dave

>

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility

Daniel Kiper 07-05-2012 03:51 PM

crash: Small bundle of fixes for Xen
 
On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 11:39:52AM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> > On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 11:15:29AM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > It looks that Xen support for crash have not been maintained
> > > > since 2009. I am trying to fix this. Here it is small
> > > > bundle of fixes:
> > > > - xen: Always calculate max_cpus value,
> > > > - xen: Read only crash notes for onlined CPUs,
> > > > - x86/xen: Read variables from dynamically allocated per_cpu
> > > > data,
> > > > - xen: Get idle data from alternative source,
> > > > - xen: Read data correctly from dynamically allocated console
> > > > ring
> > > > too.
> > > >
> > > > Daniel
> > >
> > > Daniel,
> > >
> > > Can you absolutely confirm that these changes are all
> > > backwards-compatible?
> >
> > I have not done tests with older versions of Xen. However,
> > I made all patches with backward compatibility in mind. Anyway,
> > If you wish I could do tests with let's say Xen Ver. 3.4
> > and Xen Linux Kernel Ver. 2.6.18 at least.
> >
> > Daniel
>
> That would be helpful -- I have very few Xen hypervisor sample dumpfiles,
> and if I'm not mistaken, RHEL5 only went as far as Xen 3.1-something?

No problem. I will email you back.

Daniel

--
Crash-utility mailing list
Crash-utility@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.