Old 07-03-2012, 03:07 AM
HATAYAMA Daisuke

Default makedumpfile: Add Snappy Compression Support

This patch series add snappy compression support, applied on top of
v1.4.4. snappy is fast compressoin algorhythm like lzo, but it's more
optimized than lzo on x86 machines and some others.

A lot of benchmark is available on the web. Here I only point at my
benchmark I posted a few weeks ago,

- http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2012-June/006425.html

where snappy shows mostly as good performance as simple copying on
the worst case that input data increases its data size during
compression; this means we can use snappy with mostly NO risk.

How to get snappy libraries:

1) Use yum framework to get snappy and snappy-devel packages, or

2) Visit official website: http://code.google.com/p/snappy/,
download snappy-<version>.tar.gz and then build it.

How to build makedumpfile with snappy support:

Do make as follows:

$ make USESNAPPY=on

---

HATAYAMA Daisuke (8):
Add manual description
Add help message
Add uncompression processing
Add compression processing
Notify snappy unsupporting when disabled
Add snappy build support
Add command-line processing for snappy
Add dump header for snappy

Makefile | 5 +++++