-   Crash Utility (http://www.linux-archive.org/crash-utility/)
-   -   Pointers on updating the gdb version crash uses. (http://www.linux-archive.org/crash-utility/677942-pointers-updating-gdb-version-crash-uses.html)

Anthony Booker 06-27-2012 11:34 PM

Pointers on updating the gdb version crash uses.

Hi,

I have the chance to look at using crash in a new, to me, situation but
there's a catch: I think I need to rebuild it based on a newer gdb
version. I've started picking apart some of the gdb patch but I'm
wondering if there's a repository maintained anywhere that will help me
understand more of the purpose of the patchset, or maybe some guide that
is a better approach to the problem.

So my question is, anyone have the time and inclination to chip in on
the smartest way to bring up crash on a newer gdb?

Cheers,
Anthony Booker.

Dave Anderson 06-28-2012 01:38 PM

Pointers on updating the gdb version crash uses.

> I have the chance to look at using crash in a new, to me, situation but
> there's a catch: I think I need to rebuild it based on a newer gdb
> version. I've started picking apart some of the gdb patch but I'm
> wondering if there's a repository maintained anywhere that will help me
> understand more of the purpose of the patchset, or maybe some guide that
> is a better approach to the problem.
>
> So my question is, anyone have the time and inclination to chip in on
> the smartest way to bring up crash on a newer gdb?
>
> Cheers,
> Anthony Booker.

What you see is what you get.

It's a somewhat painful process, where each item in the gdb-<version>.patch
file contains something that needs to be addressed to maintain backwards
compatibility. Each time I do it, I just walk through each patch in that
file, and either it applies directly, or it involves some amount of pain,
given the complexity of gdb.

But the short answer is, why?

Dave