-   Crash Utility (http://www.linux-archive.org/crash-utility/)
-   -   crash cannot work for the newest qemu's core (http://www.linux-archive.org/crash-utility/675282-crash-cannot-work-newest-qemus-core.html)

Wen Congyang 06-21-2012 07:06 AM

crash cannot work for the newest qemu's core

Hi, all

When I use crash to deal with the vmcore generated by 'vrish dump', I meet the following
error:

crash: seek error: kernel virtual address: ffffffff8180f1e0 type: "cpu_possible_mask".

When I specify '-d 8' to get more information, I found the following message:

NOTE: KVM/QEMU CPU_SAVE_VERSION 12 is greater than supported version 9

So I guess crash does not support it now. Does anyone have plan to fix it?

Thanks
Wen Congyang

Dave Anderson 06-21-2012 06:03 PM

crash cannot work for the newest qemu's core

> When I use crash to deal with the vmcore generated by 'vrish dump', I
> meet the following error:
>
> crash: seek error: kernel virtual address: ffffffff8180f1e0 type: "cpu_possible_mask".
>
> When I specify '-d 8' to get more information, I found the following message:
>
> NOTE: KVM/QEMU CPU_SAVE_VERSION 12 is greater than supported version 9
>
> So I guess crash does not support it now. Does anyone have plan to fix it?
>
> Thanks
> Wen Congyang

Hi Wen,

Also, because of your familiarity with this area, I certainly invite you
to take a look at this... ;-)

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Anderson 06-22-2012 01:06 PM

crash cannot work for the newest qemu's core

> > When I use crash to deal with the vmcore generated by 'vrish dump',
> > meet the following error:
> >
> > crash: seek error: kernel virtual address: ffffffff8180f1e0 type: "cpu_possible_mask".
> >
> > When I specify '-d 8' to get more information, I found the following message:
> >
> > NOTE: KVM/QEMU CPU_SAVE_VERSION 12 is greater than supported version 9
> >
> > So I guess crash does not support it now. Does anyone have plan to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Wen Congyang
>
> Hi Wen,
>
> Also, because of your familiarity with this area, I certainly invite you
> to take a look at this... ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Hi Wen,

On a related note, what is the status with your "virsh dump-guest-memory"
replacement of "virsh dump"? The last I saw, it seemed like the qemu guys
finally seemed willing to accept it?

Dave

Wen Congyang 06-27-2012 09:25 AM

At 06/22/2012 02:03 AM, Dave Anderson Wrote:

> [...]

I am busy recently. If I have time and the problem is not fixed, I will try to
fix it.

Thanks
Wen Congyang

Wen Congyang 06-27-2012 09:27 AM

At 06/22/2012 09:06 PM, Dave Anderson Wrote:

> [...]

dump-guest-memory is not a virsh's sub command. It is a qemu monitor command.
The patches for qemu and libvirt have been merged into newest qemu/libvirt.

Thanks
Wen Congyang

Dave Anderson 06-28-2012 08:38 PM

crash cannot work for the newest qemu's core

> At 06/22/2012 09:06 PM, Dave Anderson Wrote:

OK, but now I'm confused...

I was presuming that you could run the new "dump-guest-memory" command from
the KVM host, specifying a particular guest, and it will create an ELF vmcore
that the crash utility can read. But I don't know what the term "qemu monitor
command" means? Is it a command that can be executed from a shell command line?

And will "virsh dump" still exist? And if so, why?

Dave

Dave Anderson 06-28-2012 08:40 PM

crash cannot work for the newest qemu's core

> At 06/22/2012 02:03 AM, Dave Anderson Wrote:

OK thanks, I appreciate that.

Dave

HATAYAMA Daisuke 07-04-2012 01:10 AM

crash cannot work for the newest qemu's core

>> At 06/22/2012 09:06 PM, Dave Anderson Wrote:

This is a patch set in libvirt side:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-June/msg00404.html

In summary:

- dump-guest-memory is a qemu monitor command, the protocol of which
is explained in http://wiki.qemu.org/QMP.

- To get ELF-formatted vmcore, we specify --memory-only option to
virsh dump command, then virsh dump uses dump-guest-memory monitor
command vir QMP protocol, instead of migrate monitor command.

- Note that the default behaviour remains calling migrate command.

BTW, we can call monitor commands using virsh qemu-monitor-command but
they are restricted, according to this FAQ:

- http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/FAQ#Can_I_connect_to_the_QEMU_monitor_with_libvirt .3F

Also, this is helpful to know how virsh commands use qemu monitor
commands:

- http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/QEMUSwitchToLibvirt#Monitor_command_equivalence

Thanks.
HATAYAMA, Daisuke