Old 01-01-1970, 01:00 AM
HATAYAMA Daisuke

Default Kernel Crash Analysis on Android

From: "Shankar, AmarX" <amarx.shankar@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [Crash-utility] Kernel Crash Analysis on Android
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 04:02:23 +0000

> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for your info regarding kexec tool.
>
> I am unable to download kexec from below link.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/horms/kexec-tools/kexec-tools.tar.gz
>
> It says HTTP 404 Page Not Found.
>
> Could you please guide me on this?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Amar Shankar

Follow this link. There are a variety of resources about kexec-tools.

http://horms.net/projects/kexec/

Thanks.
HATAYAMA, Daisuke

Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM
"Shankar, AmarX"

Hi,

*

I want to do kernel crash Analysis on Android Merrifield Target.

*

Could someone please help me how to do it?

*

Thanks & Regards,

Amar Shankar

Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Dave Anderson

> I want to do kernel crash Analysis on Android Merrifield Target.
>
> Could someone please help me how to do it?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Amar Shankar

I'm not at all familiar with how Android handles kernel crashes.
Are you able to get a kdump (vmcore) of the crashed kernel?

Dave

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Mika Westerberg

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 06:00:00PM +0000, Shankar, AmarX wrote:

> I want to do kernel crash Analysis on Android Merrifield Target.
>
> Could someone please help me how to do it?

Merrifield is pretty much similar than Medfield, e.g it has x86 core. So I
guess you can follow the instructions how to setup kdump on x86 (see
Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt) unless you already have that configured.

crash should support this directly presuming you have vmlinux/vmcore files to
feed it. You can configure crash to support x86 on x86_64 host by running:

% make target=X86
& make

(or something along those lines).

Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Dave Anderson

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 06:00:00PM +0000, Shankar, AmarX wrote:
>
> > I want to do kernel crash Analysis on Android Merrifield Target.
> >
> > Could someone please help me how to do it?
>
> Merrifield is pretty much similar than Medfield, e.g it has x86 core. So I
> guess you can follow the instructions how to setup kdump on x86 (see
> Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt) unless you already have that configured.
>
> crash should support this directly presuming you have vmlinux/vmcore files to
> feed it. You can configure crash to support x86 on x86_64 host by running:
>
> % make target=X86
> & make
>
> (or something along those lines).

Right -- just the first make command will suffice, i.e., when running
on an x86_64 host:

$ wget http://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash-6.0.4.tar.gz
$ tar xzf crash-6.0.4.tar.gz
$ cd crash-6.0.4
$ make target=X86
$ ./crash <path-to>/vmlinux <path-to>/vmcore

Dave

Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 AM
"Shankar, AmarX"

Hi Dave,

*

Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 AM
"Shankar, AmarX"

Hi Daisuke,

*

Thanks for info.

*

Regards,

Amar

*

Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM
"Shankar, AmarX"

Hi,

*

I have downloaded kexec-tools-2.0.3 to Ubuntu machine(10.04) from
http://horms.net/projects/kexec/.

*

Thereafter as mentioned in Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt, I have done the below steps.

*

3) Unpack the tarball with the tar command, as follows:

*

** tar xvpzf kexec-tools.tar.gz

*

4) Change to the kexec-tools directory, as follows:

*

** cd kexec-tools-VERSION

*

(Version is 2.0.3)

*

But the next step is configuration and build of package, as below.

So what option do I need to give to compile for Gingerbread sources.

Because the below set of commands will configure and compile for Linux Ubuntu-dev 2.6.32-38-generic.

*

But I want to compile for Gingerbread sources.

*

I have the gingerbread sources.

*

{{{

5) Configure the package, as follows:

*

** ./configure

*

6) Compile the package, as follows:

*

** make

*

7) Install the package, as follows:

*

** make install

}}}

*

Also, after compiling, do I need to copy the kexec utility to target or it will be part of kernel build itself?

*

Thanks & Regards,

Amar Shankar

*