Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 AM
Lei Wen

Default The "ctrl + c" doesn't work in crash

Hi Dave,

I found the "ctrl + c" doesn't work well in crash. Sometimes, we may type a wrong command and want to directly cancel it by "ctrl+c" like in the bash. But this combination only do seldom response, what I mean is I once see it works once or twice.

I also notice there was a mail thread talking about it:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2009-October/msg00006.html

But on the most new crash 6.0.4, simply ctrl+c three times or more would not lead to a new prompt...

Thanks,
Lei

Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Dave Anderson

> I found the "ctrl + c" doesn't work well in crash. Sometimes, we may
> type a wrong command and want to directly cancel it by "ctrl+c" like
> in the bash. But this combination only do seldom response, what I
> mean is I once see it works once or twice.
>
> I also notice there was a mail thread talking about it:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2009-October/msg00006.html
>
> But on the most new crash 6.0.4, simply ctrl+c three times or more
> would not lead to a new prompt...

SIGINT's are always caught, and it depends upon whether the command is
currently being fed into the scroller, and in some cases, the command
itself. See the callers of received_SIGINT() for example.

Dave

Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Lei Wen

Hi Dave,

I see...
And while I redo the test, I can see SIGINT work again, prompt the input > when type three ctrl+c. No idea why previous ctrl+c not working...

I still get a another display issue regarding the ctrl+c.
I use the "log" command to show the kernel dmesg, and always the message buffer is large which cannot be displayed in one screen. So I could see the below notice in the foot of the screen:
-- MORE -- forward: <SPACE>, <ENTER> or j backward: b or k quit: q

If I type "ctrl+c" when the message still not get fully displayed, eventually I would see the previous only one foot notice would show up several and keep growing.
Like this:
[ 413.741638] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
[ 413.749725] pgd = d3e90000
[ 413.752441] [00000000] *pgd=12109831, *pte=00000000, *ppte=00000000
-- MORE -- forward: <SPACE>, <ENTER> or j backward: b or k quit: q
-- MORE -- forward: <SPACE>, <ENTER> or j backward: b or k quit: q
-- MORE -- forward: <SPACE>, <ENTER> or j backward: b or k quit: q

And when this abnormal happens, the <space> would be displayed normally as before, but when the whole message is drained out, the console prompt would not be displayed. And each <enter> after this abnormal, would lead to another such notice to be showed up like the message buffer itself.

So is it a bug for the cmdline handling?

> Dave

Thanks,
Lei

Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Dave Anderson

> > > I found the "ctrl + c" doesn't work well in crash. Sometimes, we
> > > may
> > > type a wrong command and want to directly cancel it by "ctrl+c"
> > > like
> > > in the bash. But this combination only do seldom response, what I
> > > mean is I once see it works once or twice.
> > >
> > > I also notice there was a mail thread talking about it:
> > > http://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2009-October/msg00006.html
> > >
> > > But on the most new crash 6.0.4, simply ctrl+c three times or
> > > more
> > > would not lead to a new prompt...
> >
> > SIGINT's are always caught, and it depends upon whether the command is
> > currently being fed into the scroller, and in some cases, the command
> > itself. See the callers of received_SIGINT() for example.
>
> I see...
> And while I redo the test, I can see SIGINT work again, prompt the
> input > when type three ctrl+c. No idea why previous ctrl+c not
> working...
>
> I still get a another display issue regarding the ctrl+c.
> I use the "log" command to show the kernel dmesg, and always the
> message buffer is large which cannot be displayed in one screen. So
> I could see the below notice in the foot of the screen:
> -- MORE -- forward: <SPACE>, <ENTER> or j backward: b or k quit: q
>
> If I type "ctrl+c" when the message still not get fully displayed,
> eventually I would see the previous only one foot notice would show
> up several and keep growing.
> Like this:
> [ 413.741638] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
> [ 413.749725] pgd = d3e90000
> [ 413.752441] [00000000] *pgd=12109831, *pte=00000000, *ppte=00000000
> -- MORE -- forward: <SPACE>, <ENTER> or j backward: b or k quit: q
> -- MORE -- forward: <SPACE>, <ENTER> or j backward: b or k quit: q
> -- MORE -- forward: <SPACE>, <ENTER> or j backward: b or k quit: q
>
> And when this abnormal happens, the <space> would be displayed
> normally as before, but when the whole message is drained out, the
> console prompt would not be displayed. And each <enter> after this
> abnormal, would lead to another such notice to be showed up like the
> message buffer itself.
>
> So is it a bug for the cmdline handling?

Well, it's just the behavior when the "less" scroller is being used.
Why not just do what the prompt says, and just enter "q"?

Dave

I don't fully understand your description, but why not do what the
prompt says, and just type 'q'?

Dave

Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Lei Wen

Yep, the 'q' certainly works. Just for testing.

> Dave

Thanks,
Lei